1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 20 of 107 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    10 kms sweet single track. Then had to figure out how to get frozen mud off the bike. Turns out the hose still haven't frozen yet so.... :thumbup:

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    7.6ml trail ride.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Brought my bike to work this morning to ride on my lunch break. But forgot my riding gear so ill try and sneak away early and get it and go

mtbr member

Took the bike for a ride around my local lake.

mtbr member

Rode 13.1 miles of Franklin Mountain singletrack.

Sorry for super crappy cell phone pic, I really need a digital camera .

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I rode for an hour then fell and busted my elbow

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    10 miles, nothing special, except I was on my bike and in the woods. That is pretty awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    26 minute run on Dwelling Loop @ Blankets Creek! I best time yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

8.5 miles in 1 1/2 hour before work.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post

8.5 miles in 1 1/2 hour before work.
    Isn't that the bike you just got? looks great!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Isn't that the bike you just got? looks great!!
    Yep, I have had it one week and have already rode it 30 miles, im going on a EARLY Saturday morning ride in a few as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Reassembled it after I took some of its parts to China (was going to put them on a ride there, turns out MTBs are more expensive than most motorcycles there). Today will be my first ride in over 3 months.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Got back on my bike after the nasty fall last Sunday. Hip still aches a bit, but this time I went up with POC knee pads and butt armor (Troy Lee BP7605) to play it safe. Made it 3+ miles on the mountain trails before the injuries started acting up, so turned around and rode home (another 4 miles). Not bad after a week's break I guess.

-S

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    took my dog out with me to see if she would stay behind me while riding. we had a blast. she beat me by a long shot down the trail though. haha

Rogue Exterminator
    30 miles of mostly single track at Dupont State Forest.
    The trails ranged from moderate to difficult. No idea what the elevation change was but I would imagine a couple thousand feet of total climb.

Beer well earned today.

mtbr member
    Met up with 5 other guys and had a 10 mile group ride, started with a nasty climb with a rewarding fast flowing down hill single track. Elevation change of 1000 ft .
    Last edited by MTBerNick; 11-10-2012 at 06:14 PM.

mtbr member
    I just installed a Shimano ZEE rear derailleur, shifter and cassettes. I'll be riding my bike tomorrow at Fountainhead.

mtbr member
    This.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1352764546711.jpg  

mtbr member
    Just converted my bike to single speed, first SS ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBerNick View Post
    Just converted my bike to single speed, first SS ride tomorrow!
    I've been thinking about building a SS this winter. Let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Melted wearing too many layers this morning riding to work in 30 degree temps... felt better going home though. Must learn a good combo of gear for cold weather.

Village Newbie
    Conquered the 2 obstacles that were keeping me down and I didn't pop off my bike once except for drink breaks. Felt really good about that, one was a 30 that turns into a 45 uphill slope and the other was about about the same except it was 10feet higher and a flat spot followed by a big honking rock. Then I thought it a good idea to take the long ways home-but then I got chased down by a bulldog, talk about an adrenaline dump. Dressed up nice warm, a little bit sweaty but otherwise not cold.

Havent been able to ride the last 4 weeks, contracted strep throat beat that after 6 days and then ended up in the ER with intestinal bleeding, been messing around for 3 weeks with that alone, the drugs made me

My Brain Hurts!
    Got my wheels trued, brakes checked, cleaned and readjusted, front rotor was slightly bent (now fixed), replaced the chain and cleaned/readjusted drive train. Then I rode it about a mile to shake it down.

I found out that riding on the grass side of the curb down the street was quite fun and a bit of a workout too! I am unclear on how people felt about a clyde blazing across their lawn along the street...but no one yelled or took a pot shot at me so I figure it was all good...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Hip still hurt, couldn't do much on the bike; got bored; made freewheel hub bushing; rebuilt cassette freewheel hub.

-S

mtbr member
    Installed Fizik rear light, Rubber Queen 2.2s, SRAM X0 shifters and rear derailleur.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img_3428.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img_3429.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img_3430.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img_3432.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img_3420.jpg  

Page 20 of 107 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 ... LastLast