1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Road the trails in Ft. Pierce this morning. I quickly realized two things.
    1. I totally stink at this.
    2. The importance of being on the right gear.

I was gased after fifteen minutes in. Changed gears a few times and plowed through it.
    Of course after wipping it a few times, and getting attacked by fire ants.

Can't wait to do it again!!!

mtbr member
    Went out this morning with my 2 year old grandson, me on the old Trek (now called Logan's bike) and Logan in the bike trailer. We had a great time!!

mtbr member
    I installed ODI Rogue grips. Awesome! Was going to ride, but too hot!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got my 1st bike- trek 4900...tried to mount a sidewalk, fell on my tailbone...will attempt to tame the beast again tomorrow

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I got up early and rode 8 miles of varied terrain singletrack with a friend who is twice as fast as me. I was pretty wore out after that ride as i pushed myself harder than I normally would by myself.

The parking lot was packed as well to my surprise since it was the fourth and the temps have been triple digit for a while.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    I made an attempt to learn how to bunny hop. I can get 2'' if I'm lucky and damn was it a workout. 100* and 1000% humidity will do that.

mtbr member
    Looked longingly at it, since I didn't have the time for a ride today...
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i put on a set of crankbro pedal

second try on the spd!!

hopefully don't crash as many time like the first time out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    I got up early and rode 8 miles of varied terrain singletrack with a friend who is twice as fast as me. I was pretty wore out after that ride as i pushed myself harder than I normally would by myself.

The parking lot was packed as well to my surprise since it was the fourth and the temps have been triple digit for a while.

thats the best way to learn and get better in my opinion. i have a buddy thats been doing down hill for 6 years now that i met at our local dirt track, and now when we do the downhill course, we let him lead and try to follow. i've gotten so much faster now, he still beats me by like 10 seconds though. Haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madaxc View Post
    Looked longingly at it, since I didn't have the time for a ride today...
    i feel you man, with my work schedule this week, i wont be able to ride again till saturday morning

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    made a short half kilometer segment on strava today. rid it a few times.
    there are no local trails that aren't flat near me

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Huge storm today in East Tennessee area, part of my roof blown off, tree's snapped all around the city, winds were up to 70mph.

Cant way to see what the trails look like tomorrow night. haha. Im hoping that a well placed tree will allow me to build a ladder bridge or wooden berm or something cool. riding the same trails 3-5 times a week can sometimes get boring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do I have to post a pic if the only thing I did was think about what I still have to do to it?

mtbr member
    took it nice and easy given the heat and still drained about 2 liters of water in an hour. finished up at the local reservoir.

can't wait to do it all over again tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by COBilly View Post
    Do I have to post a pic if the only thing I did was think about what I still have to do to it?
    nope thats the thing about this thread, just a place to share thoughts, stories, trips, pics, or anything else related to,

for example, it think of how i can make some extra money to get the pedals and 5 ten shoes that i want badly but at the moment cant afford

AZ
    banned
    I rode a wheelie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I rode a wheelie.
    Ive been trying to ride Wheelie's since I was in 2nd grade in 1988 or so, to this day 10-20ft is about as far as I can make it, maybe 2 pedal strokes LOL

Today I did 14 miles, 5.2 miles of road to the trail, a few miles of trails and 5.2 miles home. It was at or near 100 degrees today, felt pretty darn good when I was done.

mtbr member
    Rode some trails and then stripped down my drivetrain for a thorough cleaning... Busy day!
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Finished a Dirt Divas class at a local mtb park. SUPER FUN!

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    I went to the office and worked late....... then I came back over the SOuth Downs and alont the ridgeline of hills and was treated to this view to end my day. Wonderful:

It made it to twitter before here, it's good to share!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Edirty6 View Post

i went out for a ride. did 2 miles before i was drenched in sweat. 96 degree heat is just to freaking hot.
    Come ride in Texas! 96 degrees is a nice day to go riding
    Impossible Is Nothing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sealuva View Post
    Road the trails in Ft. Pierce this morning. I quickly realized two things.
    1. I totally stink at this.
    2. The importance of being on the right gear.

I was gased after fifteen minutes in. Changed gears a few times and plowed through it.
    Of course after wipping it a few times, and getting attacked by fire ants.

Can't wait to do it again!!!
    Fort Pierce is fun! It can be a challenge though. I'm used to riding halpatiokee park in Stuart which isn't as technical, but when I get going in Ft Pierce, I feel like I'm a complete noob. After the first underpass, it gets easier.

Anyway, I gave mine a bath today. Hopefully I can get out and ride Sunday.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    I went out to Sweetwater Reservoir for the first time and fell off my bike. Got pretty banged up too. Much more to see there, so I'll be back.

fee
    mtbr member
    I did not use my mtb, but my road bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman15951 View Post
    Come ride in Texas! 96 degrees is a nice day to go riding
    i would say. i've been to texas once, it was 101 when i was there 3 years ago, but felt okay because the air there was dry.

Come to TN after that rain we just had and see how 96 Feels, humiity is high all the time here.

I sent back my uvex helmet to JensonUSA today because they charged my account twice, and now they lost a customer. they overdrawed my account to neg -70 bucks, and i just got paid today and im down to 40 bucks to last for two weeks now
    and i just didnt like the helmet either. universal fits are just to big for my head and look like a turtle shell sitting there.

Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast