1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 19 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2012
    9.25 miles up and down the mountain trails....

Reformed Goon
    Learned I need a longer straight stretch after a long downhill and a small natural ramp on my fresh cut trails. I flipped over the bars but didn't hit the stump which is good. Felt like a kid again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Polished a short cage xt m-735 derailluer for my P-23 build
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

My Brain Hurts!
    Had a great ride today with great friends! 7.5 miles of wet, pine strewn sandy trail, with a wee bit of mud...felt like about 20 miles though!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fell. And for some reason lmfao'd while i was doing it. I guess its good to be able to laugh at yourself.

no trees are safe
    I rode my mountain bike... ON THE ROAD! Cause it was too damp. I ended up wet anyways...

Ridin' Furry
    Did a proper bike fit at LBS and got some wide riser handle bars with Ergon gp1 grips for my CX bike. Good bye wrist pains.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Rode 23 miles at Brown County State Park in Indiana. Awesome time!

mtbr member
    Got in a quick 9 miles on some technical, leaf covered single track at Independence park in Pekin IL. before church.
    It was pretty cool (38) and the all of the fallen leaves made some of the trails pretty treacherous. All that aside it was an awesome ride!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Pretended I was riding, since I snapped my rear derailleur off on Friday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Project Ghetto Tubeless

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Rode into work, a nice 41 degrees outside, according to the weather guys though felt like 33 degrees. And now sweating in the over heated office building.

Very green
    I took advantage of the rare good weather down here, and my friend and I rode a couple of laps on the green trails at a local park after work. We're both very green off road, though we did a little of the easier blue stuff as well. This place has separate warmup and cooldown novice trails - just some winding singletrack - that really gets my attention, for some reason. We rode them a couple of times, hauling ass, even after the sun had pretty much gone down.

Loving it so far... Need to put more time into it so I can start learning the technical stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Changed out rear tire after a spectacular blow out. Trying maxis crossmarks. Hopefully there're better that the spesh captains.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My son & I rode our regular route at our "home" trail last night (SM Park in KC metro area). Trying to steal a few more rides before weather and the time change close us down for the season. Great ride for us... About the fastest we've ever run the loop. Losing light at the end but still felt like we were flying thru there. Makes me a little disheartened to think our first riding season is winding down. just got into MTBing this spring and feel totally addicted now. Looking forward to setting some riding goals for next year though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Put my serviced fork back on again, put on a new front rim with brake rotors, no front brakes, only v-brakes on the rear, and rode some kilometers

banned
    Sep 2012
    Almost killed myself when I could not unclip in time while on the mountain trails.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just made a few seat and bar adjustments to try out this weekend.

Very green
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Almost killed myself when I could not unclip in time while on the mountain trails.....
    That doesn't sound like fun. I'm a long ways from anything but platform pedals for now.

I changed out the tires on the Fuji tonight, from some Tiandis that it came with to a set of Kenda Nevegals, 2.35 in the front and 2.10 in the back. I'm used to motorcycle tires, which keep their shape even when not mounted. The Nevegals looked funny when I took them out of the packaging, but I figured it out.

Can't wait to try them out this Saturday, starting to get into the blue trails a little now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-p1000787_resize.jpg  

mtbr member

Rode the bike down to the bay.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Almost killed myself again, and this time I got pretty beat up. Hit an unseen rut in the trail and got launched into the air, flew a good 15-20 feet with bike attached to my feet. Broke my cell phone mount, ripped off my left barend, damaging the end of my carbon handlebar, ripped off the back of my headphones/headset.

I think kneeguards should be my next upgrade.

Last edited by shibiwan; 11-04-2012 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Went tubeless

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakeshott View Post

Rode the bike down to the bay.
    nice bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks Shibiwan! That's actually my brother's bike. He was nice enough to let me take it to the trails yesterday. Btw, kneeguards sound like a good idea.

mtbr member
    Put air in my tires to practice crashing ... I mean turning.
    "Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson

Page 19 of 107 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 69 ... LastLast