1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 18 of 102 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Install some new xt brakes on my bike. , today I get to bleed them since I had to swap the hose around on the lever..

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    Rode over a coiled copperhead snake
    Scared the doodoo outta me

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    Rode over a coiled copperhead snake
    Scared the doodoo outta me
    Him too.

I eat cats
    Rode 6.5 miles solo at a local coastal trail (El Moro/Crystal Cove). Finally had a cooler weather ride, felt good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-el-moro-10.20.12.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

... and if we just ...

i cleaned my bike with this halfway thru riding today~
    Attached Images Attached Images  

banned
    Sep 2012
    Took an 8.5 mile trail ride up to the San Tan mountains and climbed Maricopa trail.

Realized I dropped my cell phone when I got down, tried to turn back to look for it, lost balance, could not unclip, went SPLAT into the ground. Walked the bike back up, found phone (whew).

The view was great though.
    What did You do today on your mountain bike?-2012-10-21_07-53-39_224.jpg

-S

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    rode a little in the local woods, found a new way down the hill, fell down one time

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rode Overmountain Victory Trail in Wilkesboro, NC

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Went exploring an area where a bunch of trees were knocked down in a recent storm:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broogiedad View Post
    Rode Overmountain Victory Trail in Wilkesboro, NC
    I passed an SUV headed north on 421 just outside of Winston about 11:30am - was that you guys?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I didn't do anything wife had to many honey-do's!
    Bone stock 2012 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    rode my first xc race today. Finished 11 outta 20 only a minute behind 4th. 9.75 miles of single in 49 minutes

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looked at her sadly as I loaded my road bike onto the car. Can't ride it right now. Broken thumb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Found a new cool flowy trail at my local spot.

Learned that I should pack some TP in my camelback. Had to cut out too ssoon.

mtbr member
    Rode my bike on a new trail with two friends and got into a really good flow by the end

mtbr member
    Got a babysitter, rode with my wife and 2 other Durango Bike Chicks(TM) from my driveway over to the Colorado Trail, up to Gudy's Rest. Then back down to an ATM in town to get cash for the sitter, and rode home.

Rode the fatbike. Tried one techy uphill thing 3 times - finally lost a tiny bit o' skin on the 3rd failed try. 19 miles, pretty quick, mellow ride, 2,200 feet of climbing, and perfect weather. And my 3 yr old daughter was stoked to show us her purple fingernails when we got home.

Life's good.
    Last edited by JChasse; 10-21-2012 at 07:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Spent too much time on disposable pedals

Installed 10-24 x 3/8" allen set screws where the cast-in pins were wore/broken, cleaned and packed the bearings, installed o-rings to keep the crap out and then gave them a light coat of paint knowing full well the paint will wear off quickly.

All on a $15 pair of pedals??????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-pedals.jpg  

09 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would like to replace my rear shocks, but don't know how

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    26 miles of urban riding in sweet 70 degree weather.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Towed my son around in a Burley trailer for three hours stopping to play at every park in town. Talk about fun we had a blast!

Carbon or Commie?
    How did he feel about the downhill technical portions?

mtbr member
    Rode the furthest in the mountains so far. Got lost trying to find the path up to a nice, smooth, rolling downhill section with sharper corners than I have ridden so far. I hiked the bike up through a very steep area, hiked it back down though a rock-lined ditch once I realized my mistake. One day, I know I can ride that area, but I am not there yet... Found the rolling section again, it was pure joy. I had a big stupid grin coming down, even though it had the terrifying hidden kitty litter sandy spots. Just bombed down it and hit a new personal best off-road top speed

Wiped out twice on the trip, the first time falling since I first began riding almost two months ago. I just lost control on a flat section trying to power through some sand and tipped over. Speed was really low because of the sand, so no biggie. Then I launched myself across a sidewalk and into a bush trying to taker a tight s-shaped corner too tight and too fast. I barreled into one bush, and got thrown off across the path into another one. I giggled, cause it was kinda fun to fly like that, and the only thing hurt was my pride from falling while riding on the freaking sidewalk.

I am glad I got all my knee pads and elbow pads last week

Best ride I have had yet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looked at it sitting forlornly in the corner, checked the surf, then paddled out and let it gather dust. Since I moved to a place with regular waves biking has taken a back burner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    LBS called me to say the bike had arrived. Brought it home and did all the stuff ya gotta do to a new bike. Its now awaiting its first trail tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Bought a 9 speed chain to complete my build :-)

Page 18 of 102 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 68 ... LastLast