1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I fixed my rear brakes that sounded like a damn trumpet. Hopefully.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim2103 View Post
    I fixed my rear brakes that sounded like a damn trumpet. Hopefully.
    How did you fix them? I am having a similar issue.

mtbr member
    Just a short ride around my neighborhood, I didn't have much time before work. It was a great way to start the day! I can't wait to ride again tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I learned not to try consecutive drops and rock gardens while going through a descending corner, doing so with my suntour fork turns the bike into a bronco. As fun as the rodeo was, I don't think I'll trying that again anytime soon. I'm still surprised I managed to stay on the bike, though I think tomorrow I'm gonna have 2 flat tires from going through 12 foot or so of thorn bushes in the hopes of getting the bike back up and on the singletrack. I still had a blast though.

Gumnut Peddler
    Replaced the BB on my daily. Came super close to lobbing it over the fence after the 20min job turned into an hour long epic. Convinced myself not to, as I like having a bike that doesn't attract attention when locked up in the city. Sometimes I think a new bike would be nice during the week, but that's why I have my Anthem for the weekends.

Old BB was a sealed square taper jobby.

Wasnt sealed when I went to remove it. Never seen a sealed bottom bracket come out in bits. Explains the crunch/squeak I was getting on the ride home the day before. Glad I didn't try and power through it, and took it steady. I suspect it had never been replaced before as screwing it back in was a mission in itself. Thought I was cross threading it, so took me a number of attempts to make sure it was fine before committing to tightening it back up again.

nOOb
    After hitting the trail, five minutes in took a spill. Got up started pedaling up a hill and snap. Broken chain. Luckily not too far from a bike shop. Village bicycles on Warrick blvd. In Newport News, Va. gave me the hook-up. 3 dollars and 30 minutes later was back hitting the trails with a vengence. All in all was a good day.
    '09 Cannondale F7
    '00 Specialized Hardrock Comp

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ride it, got it dirty and cleaned it

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What did i do today..... Been riding my new bike without the steerer cut while i decided on what height I wanted. Finally decided on the height. Measured, took the fork off, got set-up and my 8.999 month pregnant wife decided we needed to go have the baby. I tried to stall her so that I could finish my bike, but no the baby had to come before the bike(whatever). Anyway, 90 minutes later she decided it was a false alarm. Came home, remeasured my steerer, forgot the headset height this time and cut my steerer in the wrong place. Anyway, new fork is on order as of this morning and I learned yet another valuable life lesson. At 11pm after rushing to the hospital, cutting a steerer tube is a bad idea....

That's what I did on my mountain bike today!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I dusted it off .a bit .Its been idle a long time

@trailgrinder
    Sat on my seat, got a boner because I haven't ridden for two weeks due to injury. Today is the day that I will re acquaint myself with my steed.

mtbr member
    I lubed up my chain for the first time last night(since I bought it) and went for a ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    put upgrades on. will post pic when I get 10 posts.

@trailgrinder
    Rode at snowbasin for a nice 12 mile ride, low key in preparation for a 5k foot climbing day tommorow.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
    What did i do today..... Been riding my new bike without the steerer cut while i decided on what height I wanted. Finally decided on the height. Measured, took the fork off, got set-up and my 8.999 month pregnant wife decided we needed to go have the baby. I tried to stall her so that I could finish my bike, but no the baby had to come before the bike(whatever). Anyway, 90 minutes later she decided it was a false alarm. Came home, remeasured my steerer, forgot the headset height this time and cut my steerer in the wrong place. Anyway, new fork is on order as of this morning and I learned yet another valuable life lesson. At 11pm after rushing to the hospital, cutting a steerer tube is a bad idea....

That's what I did on my mountain bike today!
    Yup. Measure 2x, cut 1x. And if you take a break after measuring, re - measure again!

Hell, measure it 3 times!

Today I picked up a wireless odometer/speedo for the mountain bike but ran out of time and desire to install it. That will be tomorrow I hope....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    since i have a 97 cannondale m500, i did a threadless adapter and new/used stem.

mtbr member
    Got rid of that freaking creak!

mtbr member
    25 kms of single track at hardwood hills in Orillia Ontario. It was awesome

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Rode 11 miles on a local trail, my longest ride yet. Felt great, can't wait to go longer!

mtbr member
    29 miles around Annadel
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Just stared at my bike. It was 105 degrees today.

@trailgrinder
    5k of climbing today over 29 miles, left me with a sore butt!

Carbon or Commie?
    13 miles of trail. 4.5 hours. Over half of that was "moving time". Getting better... one day at a time. Maybe I'll try some easier trails next time.

mtbr member
    15 miles before my BB gave up the ghost
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I went on my first solo ride yesterday - short 8 miles on a beginners trail (Carbon Canyon SoCal) but it was awesome I could push myself harder and felt more relaxed - don't get me wrong I like riding with my more experienced buddies but since they flaked, I took a chance and went on my own and had a blast!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Did a Complete tear down, deep clean, and rebuild on my 97 Moab. All new Jagwire ripcord cables, New IG Chain, Broke one of the spring arms on my 1st. gen Avid Single digits in the process (any body got a source for new ones?) Next task is to do a teardown and rebuild of my Manitou Bulge fs-ti fork! Looking forward to actually using it now!

Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast