1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast
    banned
    Sep 2012
    Hi, I'm new and this is my first official post....

Thursday 7/30
    Decided to get back into cycling.

Friday 7/31
    Bought used 99 Klein Mantra Comp at great price...i have full intention of updating/restoring it to its former glory.
    Rode it a little...my butt hurts. Saddle is way too hard for my old butt.

Saturday 9/1
    Rebuilt front Manitou SX fork. Revalved and refilled with thicker oil to get the feel I wanted.

Sunday 9/2
    Realigned front derailleur... still not happy...think its the trigger shift at fault. Rebuilt Manitou preload adjuster for front shock - it was stuck when I got it. Installed new gel saddle to save my ass from more pain.
    Adjusted rear shock pressure....I'm starting to suspect a leak in the Fox Float R rear shock.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by shibiwan; 09-02-2012 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Beat my previous best time by 3 minutes on the Lawrence River trail in Jayhawk country. Chatted up some fellow riders for a bit, then took a second loop... And was only a minute off my previous best. The stamina must be improving.

mtbr member
    Got bit by my chain rings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1346636094702.jpg  

'12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Rode around town with my wife and kids. Got almost three inches of rain in the last 36 hours, so no singletrack for me this long weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    9.75 miles in 56 minutes on a local xc course

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Cool Thread, I replaced my mom's old rigid fork on her rockhopper with a classic Manitou sxti came out awesome she loves it. I would post pics but I don't have my ten posts yet.

the8thfold
    Aug 2012
    found an unmarked and (as far is google is concerned) unknown in-town trail today.... don't know who put the time and money into it, but it was fun as hell... love having a bike that allows me to just explore... got to love this!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    not much attempted to fix my back brakes from squeaking but hit some jumps with a friend

I AM I AM
    Rode into town (15km from home) and had a coffee

I think it's probably been a year or more since I"ve hit the dirt, so finally some good riding!!

And then the long road home, didn't beat the rain back, got drenched but it was fun.

That was the first decent ride on this mtb, hopefully a lot more to follow....maybe next time I'll bundle it in the car (if it fits) and spend more time on the trails lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Changed my tyres. No pics not enough posts

mtbr member
    Rode on the C&O Canal in Maryland with my girlfriend.

mtbr member
    Went to the local park and rode around for about 2 hours through the trails in it.

Found a bunch of trails that had gotten kind of overgrown and not as easy to follow, but I was curious. Well, needless to say it got to the point that there wasn't anything distinguishable anymore, and... Ended up in the middle of the woods, and coming out on a part of town I've never been to.

Also, finally went through a rock garden today at speed. Even though it's not much different than a bunch of large roots jutting out, I guess it's just been the fear of knowing that rocks hurt worse than roots if you fall in them. And it's different doing it in a skills area, than out on a trail.

All in the meantime of waiting to get my new bike out and about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-img_20120903_170424.jpg  

2009 Mongoose Teocali Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Took my new bike for a spin and discovered new secret areas in my neighborhood. I now have a great place to ride and just get away from it all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Went out for a family ride/picnic with my wife and my little man at our local state park, very tame trails but we did about 8 miles good workout and good tune up trip since we haven't been off road since May. Too hot down here for much off-roading the last few months.

Palmetto scrub trails lots' o 'sand.

Little man on the attack!

@trailgrinder
    Looked at in my garage calling my name; however, my back is blown so I couldn't ride.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Took my kid out for a 2 mile trail ride that took us to the local grocery store. Got some ice cream and rode back.

1/2 way back she said that her butt hurt (stupid non adjustable BMX seat that's all the rage these days) so my wife came to pick her up and I continued the trail ride back.

First trail ride in over 10 years. Guess I wasn't as unfit as I thought I was.

-S

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    enjoying the view......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-330101_429457143773256_2050122628_o.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-615189_429457507106553_5669830_o.jpg  

2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pacifica, Ca

Gumnut Peddler
    New pads for the Juicy 7's arrived today, so will be installing them tonight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Took apart platform pedals for the first time. Cleaned and re-greased the ball bearings, with no troubles (thanks YouTube).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not my own bike but just picked up a diamondback mini cruiser bmx for my 7 year old (outgrew his hotwheels 16") used and tore down the hubs and regreased them, put on on new break cable, tightened up the loose headset, made a few other adjustments on think it is now ready for his first bmx race that he is driving me nuts about doing.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Getting a view of the coast
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did You do today on your mountain bike?-20120907_135046.jpg  

What did You do today on your mountain bike?-20120907_134710.jpg  

2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

mtbr member
    Took my new bike out for the 2nd time, and checked out some trails I had never been too before. A good time, but a little rocky. First time on the trail clipless, too. Did okay, only fell over twice.

One knee is a bit sore, but the bike took the brunt of it....snapped the rear brake lever in half. She's not new and pretty anymore!!!! LOL

Didn't bother me in the least actually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I took mine for my first ride in about 20 years. Its not quite how I remember....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ^^but it was worth it wasn't it

im in the market for new forks at the moment. tried a drop off that's been scaring me for longest time and landed it, but forks got wobbly, and after further inspection. the bottom of them kinda mushroomed out and Stanchions rock back and forth in the lowers part really bad and its prob not safe to ride on considering i ride fast and my front brakes do a lot of my stopping.

Page 12 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 62 ... LastLast