1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4

    New question here. What did I just buy?

    Yea I probably should have found these forums and website before purchasing a bike, but yea that's me.

    imgur: the simple image sharer


    Iron Horse Warrior Special edition, has a 2003 championship sticker on it, so I'm assuming it's made after that year.

    Doing a web search/image search turns up craigslist/ebay links for a 2005 Iron Horse Warrior DS limited, but I can't find any info on that, or a "special edition"

    The original seller didn't remember the year, and the bike was basically unused.

    Any info would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    As long as it fits, you ride it, and you didn't pay too much, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a fairly heavy bike, but that doesn't matter.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1785/2500

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    933
    I believe thats a 2006 Ironhorse Warrior SE.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    151
    See I thought only the warrior trail models had the coil shock and the pro models coming spec. with the air shock in 2006. I think 2007 and about they went to that number system warrior 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 and so on. I think its a Warrior trail 2005

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    As long as it fits, you ride it, and you didn't pay too much, I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a fairly heavy bike, but that doesn't matter.

    It was $120, for an old new stock bike, I can't complain.

    Almost didn't buy it because it's a 17inch and I'm 6 foot, but it fit and rode well.

    It's my first non kmart bike. I like it, just have no idea what it is. ;p

    I guess I'll have to take it into a shop and get it tuned up, a full tune up costs more than the bike itself

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    933
    Ironhorse was a prominent player in the DH scene 10 to 12 years ago. It uses a DW Link suspension, which is still used today in bikes from Turner. They filed for bankruptcy in 2005 and was bought by Dorel Industries, who basically turned them in to a Sears bike company. I like the older Ironhorse bikes. Its a cool frame design, which is probably why I like the older Giant Trance frame, which had the same aesthetics.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dompedro3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    930
    You do realize that the bike has an additional bar clamped to it so it can go on trunk racks right?

    Whatever it is, thats a decent price for a rideable bike

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Ironhorse was a prominent player in the DH scene 10 to 12 years ago. It uses a DW Link suspension, which is still used today in bikes from Turner. They filed for bankruptcy in 2005 and was bought by Dorel Industries, who basically turned them in to a Sears bike company. I like the older Ironhorse bikes. Its a cool frame design, which is probably why I like the older Giant Trance frame, which had the same aesthetics.
    Ah I did not know this.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dompedro3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    930
    This one however does not use DW link, but single pivot. Not to detract from the bike and the deal ($120 is a heck of a deal), but this is one of their lower end bikes (still good bike though)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    You do realize that the bike has an additional bar clamped to it so it can go on trunk racks right?

    Whatever it is, thats a decent price for a rideable bike
    Ha yea at first I didn't know what that was, I asked the owners and they didn't know either, just said thats what was sold with it when they bought it at the store.

    Then I just googled the name xport.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,768
    Bikepedia for info .

  12. #12
    I AM I AM
    Reputation: ducktape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Nice looking bike for the $$. I would just say in future be weary buying off people who don't know anything about the bike they're selling, personally it always makes me wonder if they've stolen it (or brought it off someone else who has). Not saying it's necessarily the case here because it is an older bike, but just something I'm always weary of, particularly if it's a newer bike and being sold for less than you might normally expect to pay.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Maroof's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16
    sorry but what exactly is that thing between the seatpost and headset?
    2013 Trek 4300

  14. #14
    Clueless Bastard
    Reputation: WA-CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroof View Post
    sorry but what exactly is that thing between the seatpost and headset?
    Nutsack massage bar....All the cool kids have them.

  15. #15
    Clueless Bastard
    Reputation: WA-CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by Augur View Post
    It was $120, for an old new stock bike, I can't complain.

    Almost didn't buy it because it's a 17inch and I'm 6 foot, but it fit and rode well.

    It's my first non kmart bike. I like it, just have no idea what it is. ;p

    I guess I'll have to take it into a shop and get it tuned up, a full tune up costs more than the bike itself
    It may not need much of a tune up. It appears to be in pretty good shape. However taking it to the shop since the seller didn't know anything about it, is a good idea.

    Honestly, I suspect a 17 inch bike is a touch too small for you at a height of 6 foot. However, for 120 bucks ride it, enjoy it, and if you find you need to do an upgrade, you'll have had fun on a cheap bike for a while.

  16. #16
    Clueless Bastard
    Reputation: WA-CO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    542
    An adapter that allows you to use the type of bike rack you shouldn't use anyway.

    https://www.performancebike.com/bike...400019__400019

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •