1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

what clipless SPD pedal?

What clipless SPD pedal is recommended for a newbie? I have SPD shoes and have ridden clipless for commuting, but not mountain biking. Kind of looking at Shiman M424 but worried about the durability of the "cage" thing. Would appreciate any suggestions. Weight is not a factor, and I don't want to spend more than $75 or so.......

mtbr member
    If weight really isn't an issue, you should check out the Shimano PD M530 SLX pedals. They're on the heavy side, but work great. And for $31 on Jensonusa, the price can't be beat. I have a pair of these on my XC bike and love them.

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    If weight really isn't an issue, you should check out the Shimano PD M530 SLX pedals. They're on the heavy side, but work great. And for $31 on Jensonusa, the price can't be beat. I have a pair of these on my XC bike and love them.

Shimano PD M530 SLX Trail Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals > Clipless Pedals | Jenson USA
    A buddy of mine started riding clipless on Shimano PD M530 SLX pedals and he's really happy with them so far. Yes, they are a bit heavy but you can't beat the price and for a newbie on a short budget they are great.

'Tis but a scratch
    The M424s are intended to be dual purpose so you can ride without clipless shoes. Beware of the "jack of all trades, master of none" theory. The M530s are a step further with a bit of a platform to maybe help you ease into it. But, since you say you've ridden clipless already, you might want to try M540 which is a clipless with no cage around it. There pretty darn durable and $44 on jensonusa.