1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    HoldItWideAndLetItSlide
    Jun 2008

What to buy for about $2000?

Alright let me just say that I am already obsessed with this sport and I don't even have a bike of my own yet. I am looking to get an all-mountain/ downhill type bike I'm pretty sure. I am 23 yrs old about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds. I am new to the sport yet I have grown up riding freestyle bmx and have been riding motocross for the last 3 years. So I am not a newbie to the two wheeled world. but I need some help trying to decide what exactly I want. I rented a Kona Stinky when I was in Mammoth and really really liked it. but I also was shuttled up to the top of the mountain every time. (so i didn't have to worry about pedaling too much) I have been visiting numerous bike shops and getting as much info as possible and have been test riding a few bikes here and there. (in the parking lot) Any suggestions? I really like doing the extreme stuff but i'm kinda limited where i live. I like hitting some big stuff every now and then and doing single track too. and i know i might have to "earn" my downhill occasionally too. I am hoping to stay within $2000 to $2500. Thanks a lot guys.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Santa Cruz Heckler.

mtbr member
    Well that's a good amount to work with. I wouldn't be able to decide on a rig if I had that much to fork out. Good lukc finding a bike but if I were to spend 2 G's I would buy a Fezzarri.
    [SIZE="3"][08' Windsor Ghost 6500][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Rock Shox Dart 1 - Tektro Discs - WTB Velociraptors - Alex DP17 rims[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Ride it like you stole it.[/SIZE]

HoldItWideAndLetItSlide
    Jun 2008
    Sweet thanks for the advice guys.

mtbr member
    I rode with a couple guys last week, one had a Santa Cruz Heckler and the other had a Specialized Pitch.
    Both are great bikes but I think my Giant Trance X2 is just as good or better.
    Do the right thing and test ride as many as you can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not sure how relevant my input is since I'm a beginner too, but I was looking at a Trek Fuel EX 8 this weekend for $2000.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    first you need to decide full or hardtail the good thing about fulls are you can do alot... the good thing about hardtails is at first you can only do so much and then you develop skills and can do alot. for 2000 you can get one hell of a bike a trek fuel ex 8 is a great choice for the full suspension and building your own hardtail out of a banshee sirrocco frame or a cotic frame is a good way to go tooo you can learn alot about yourself and bikes in general by building your own bike. I would look also at santacruz and bmc for fullies and the santacruz chameleon is a very versitile hardtail
    Keep on Ridin

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    the pitch is the little bro to the enduro(which is one of the most fun bikes i've ever ridden, it goes up and down amazingly well). but as others have said, test ride everything you can, figure out exactly what you want to do with the bike, and remember that frames and forks are more expensive to upgrade than other parts, and other parts break/wear out much sooner.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here is what you should buy. FWIW it is not mine.
    I just bought a new one and it is AWESOME!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Ibis-Mojo-C...QQcmdZViewItem

HoldItWideAndLetItSlide
    Jun 2008
    thanks for all the advice guys. I'm gonna go test ride as much bikes as i can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    used nomad.. its on the bigger end of "all mountain", and that kinda sounds ilke what you want.

mtbr member
    I sent 1.1 G on a Rush and it is all I need, I was really impressed with an 1.8G trek fuel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i just bought the specialized stumpjumper FSR comp...love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There are lots of good bikes in your price range. One thing I would stress is to remember the dealer is important, too. Do they carry a good inventory of mountain bikes? Accessories? What are their service policies? Some shops will install accessories for free If you buy from them. Some have a lifetime tune-up policy, which can be handy when you are first starting out. Some dealers have rides on certain days of the month, which can be a good way to meet other mountain bikers and learn from them.

Smokey

mtbr member
    Hit the reviews section at the top of this page.
    Giant Trance X....bike of the year 2008.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    a car

Uphill isn't a sport!!
    This is what I got with my $2000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=002

Im in love with it. Shop around and don't jump right away. You can find deals all over Craigslist.

I cant say much for the other bikes, but the Specialized Enduro is a great bike!