mtbr member
    Apr 2010

what bike for me?

I am going to buy my first mountain bike and I am not fully sure if I want to buy a hardtail or full suspension. I want a bike that will last me for a while. I will mainly be using it on the street. I will be doing light trails but I don't know how much I will get into hardcore trails or not. There won't be any crazy jumps or anything. I will also be riding for losing weight as well. My price range is around $1000. If I can go for less it will be better. I also need a bike that's 15.5inch.

Thanks in advance.

banned
    My $0.02 (standard disclaimers apply -- FWIW, IMHO, YMMV):

For the type of riding you describe, and the budget, it sounds like hardtail is the way to go. You can get heckalotta HT bike for $1k, but you can spend far less and still get a great bike, especially if you seek out deals like 2009 model clearances, or even used bikes in good shape. Use some of the money you save for a good helmet.

I would recommend visiting some local bike shops and checking out candidate bikes in your size & price range. Make sure to test drive different sizes, and find the one that feels the best. A good LBS will assist you in the fitting process, which should consist of more than just checking standover height or generic sizing charts.

Good luck!

mtbr rememberer
    X2

/thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I can get cannondale, gt, gary fisher, and trek local. I'm a bit too short for the GTs. I tried the trek 4 something?. The cannondale F7 and I forgot what gf I tried. I wanted to try the cannondale f4/5 but they didn't have my size. I wanted to try the gf tassa? But too big as well. Thoughts on those bikes or anything else I should look at or look at lesser priced bike.

Thanks

Religion = Non-thinking
    Check out the Cannondale F4. that fork was co-developed by cannondale and is a rather good fork, better than the Dart 3 that comes on all other $1000 bikes.

Also Check out the Rockhopper Expert or the Rockhopper SL (base model). They're excellent bikes @ $1000.

if i had to chose i'd get the F4.
    RH SL Pro