1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

what bike for me?

I am going to buy my first mountain bike and I am not fully sure if I want to buy a hardtail or full suspension. I want a bike that will last me for a while. I will mainly be using it on the street. I will be doing light trails but I don't know how much I will get into hardcore trails or not. There won't be any crazy jumps or anything. I will also be riding for losing weight as well. My price range is around $1000. If I can go for less it will be better. I also need a bike that's 15.5inch.

Thanks in advance.

I'm your density
    My $0.02 (standard disclaimers apply -- FWIW, IMHO, YMMV):

For the type of riding you describe, and the budget, it sounds like hardtail is the way to go. You can get heckalotta HT bike for $1k, but you can spend far less and still get a great bike, especially if you seek out deals like 2009 model clearances, or even used bikes in good shape. Use some of the money you save for a good helmet.

I would recommend visiting some local bike shops and checking out candidate bikes in your size & price range. Make sure to test drive different sizes, and find the one that feels the best. A good LBS will assist you in the fitting process, which should consist of more than just checking standover height or generic sizing charts.

Good luck!

mtbr rememberer
    X2

/thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I can get cannondale, gt, gary fisher, and trek local. I'm a bit too short for the GTs. I tried the trek 4 something?. The cannondale F7 and I forgot what gf I tried. I wanted to try the cannondale f4/5 but they didn't have my size. I wanted to try the gf tassa? But too big as well. Thoughts on those bikes or anything else I should look at or look at lesser priced bike.

Thanks

Religion = Non-thinking
    Check out the Cannondale F4. that fork was co-developed by cannondale and is a rather good fork, better than the Dart 3 that comes on all other $1000 bikes.

Also Check out the Rockhopper Expert or the Rockhopper SL (base model). They're excellent bikes @ $1000.

if i had to chose i'd get the F4.
    RH SL Pro