1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

What Bike Do I Have?

I recently started mountain biking on my dad's old bike, and I can't find the bike I have anywhere online. It is a 2006/7/8 Rockhopper that was bought in Israel several years ago, although Israeli models are imported from the US. When I took it to a local Specialized shop in California, the guy who helped me couldn't believe the components my bike had, and said it must have been one of the nicest Rockhoppers made that year. I'm gonna list a few of the components that I know and add pictures:

Frame - really light aluminum M4
    Wheels - DT Swiss 445D
    Brakes - Avid Juicy Three SL
    Fork - Rock Shox Recon SL
    Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT
    That's all I remember

What Bike Do I Have?-pa212270.jpgWhat Bike Do I Have?-pa212273.jpgWhat Bike Do I Have?-pa212275.jpgWhat Bike Do I Have?-pa212276.jpg

Please help me find out what's the name of this model. I'd also love to hear opinions on the bike!

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    It's a 2008 Rockhopper Comp M4 - heavily upgraded:

2008 Specialized Rockhopper Comp - New and Used Bike Value
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post

It's not upgraded, everything is stock on it except for the pedals.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by s11s11 View Post
    It's not upgraded, everything is stock on it except for the pedals.
    Well whatever....I cannot say how the Israeli market specs their Rockhoppers out.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Last edited by cobba; 10-21-2013 at 11:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Specs will not vary that much. The link Zachariah gave is correct, and the bike has been heavily upgraded. The LBS guy you dealt with did not know what he was looking at.

mtbr member
    need to say it looks really cool! like dark colours of the bikes! do not know the model but hope someone will help u! u are lucky to have ut!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm a newbie as well, so don't know much.

But from what I've seen so far and assuming that the bike was actually imported from the US, I'd have to agree that the parts have been upgraded.

Most of the bikes I've seen so far have the original forks of that type match the overall paint color of the bike and even with the same color schemes. I don't know much about shocks yet.

But based on that, I wouldn't expect the stock shocks to come in white like in your pic(I could be wrong about this).

Also I didn't look at the other links but the paint job is usually the best way to identify the year of the bike. So assume that paint job in the link for the 2008 matches the one in your pic. If that's the case, I'd guess it's likely a 2008.

Either way, looks like an awesome bike!
    ------
    edit: Nevermind what I said above. I just looked at some of the 2008 Rockhoppers:

Specialized Bicycle Components

And see that there are dark colored frames with a white fork. So I was wrong in the above.

I don't think it's a 2008 though because most of the color schemes have solid colors and in the OP's pic it's more of an outline. Although I did see another thread somewhere that mentioned how some bike manufacturers had seasonal colors or something like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post

Yep, that's correct. My buddy used to own one, it looks exactly like the one in the OP's photos...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You guys keep saying it's upgraded but I'm %100 sure that it came like this, everything is stock except for the pedals and the front tire. Do you think it is some kind of limited edition?

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    No... They do have a thing called ROW... which means that outside of the US models that are sold/purchased "Rest of the World" are spec'd differently than they are in the US.

The supposed 2008 model may just only be the frame standard, but due to stricter safety regulations certain parts may not be used in "X" country.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Your Dad could have done some of the swaps at time of purchase. It could have been a spec bike built up by the shop or rep. It could be that Israel's safety standards or exchange rate make a lot of their bikes pretty nice.

Don't ask too many questions.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx