1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

What is a 'big drop'?

I have no idea what kind of beating your average ht bike can take. There is a bit in the track I ride that I normally treat as a steep short descent and slow down to it. The slope has roots in it and you really have to watch where you are going. As it takes time to slow down and it is steep and short I've been thinking about speeding up and treating it as a drop instead. The drop would be about 1-1.5m to flat sandy trail. Is this still ok for most of ht bikes or starting to be a bigger drop?

mtbr member
    General rule is the bike can take more than you. Look at the BMX guys if you want hard tail drop refs.. That drop is fairly small. All said you didn't state your bike type or age so be careful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: What is a 'big drop'?

Thanks, the bike is 2013 KHS alite 1000 with a cheap suntour fork so very entry level bike. Guys here say the frame is quite strong but the fork for sure isn't.

local trails rider
    It is not about how far you fall, it is about the sudden stop when you reach the ground....

1.5 meters to flat is something quite different from 1.5 meters to a slope.

What kind of drops have you been taking before? If you have NOT been taking drops, try something knee high, or even lower first.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The track I ride has about knee high drops so that's what I've done before. Me actually doing it is not a problem but if my bike can take it. So is 1- 1.5m drop considered big drop, small one or something in between? What would you say is a big drop? Just trying to get an idea as I have very little experience on this. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaiMTB View Post
    The track I ride has about knee high drops so that's what I've done before. Me actually doing it is not a problem but if my bike can take it. So is 1- 1.5m drop considered big drop, small one or something in between? What would you say is a big drop? Just trying to get an idea as I have very little experience on this. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
    To me that is a big drop just at the edge of my comfort zone. I would be more comfortable doing a 1.5m drop on my hardtail than on my very xc race weight/geo fully. Short answer it really depends on factors like rider skill, rider weight as to how well a bike will survive.

The short answer is: If you have to ask you should not do it.

likes bicycles

Re: What is a 'big drop'?

Ride now, fix later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    It is not about how far you fall, it is about the sudden stop when you reach the ground....

1.5 meters to flat is something quite different from 1.5 meters to a slope.

What kind of drops have you been taking before? If you have NOT been taking drops, try something knee high, or even lower first.
    ^^^This. It's the landing.

Got pic?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    ^^^This. It's the landing.

Got pic?
    This. You should manual (pull the front end up) into the landing so the rear wheel makes contact first.

mtbr member
    It is all in the landing.

These guys know how to ride.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

AZ
    banned
    Pinkbike feet?