1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

What is the big deal with cranks?

Seriously, what makes a crankset justify spending $500-$700 on it? I see how quality materials, engineering, design, etc, can pay off in a fork, wheelset, or brakes, but a crank?

Isn't it's job to be stiff and light and that's about it? I realize quality bearings can be somewhat expensive and chainring strength and durability plays some role, but it just seems crazy for a rigid, low tech part that doesn't even see tons of abuse comparatively to be so costly. What am I missing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You're missing the fact that some people will buy them because they're a few grams lighter. I don't fit in that group either.

Since they don't sell many, the companies have to charge a lot to make it worthwhile to produce them.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27
    Seriously, what makes a crankset justify spending $500-$700 on it?
    Whole lotta nothin'.

Get the $90 LX crankset on Jenson, and be happy. When I saw that deal, I kicked myself a little bit for spending more on my SLX crank. It's nicer, but...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    My bike had a low end truvativ crank stock and I could watch it flex when pushing hard. And also when pedaling hard up a hill on the non driveside stroke the chain would rub the derailleur. I could adjust it out, but it bugged me. Swapped it out for a relatively cheap shimano Slx, dropped a bit over a 1/4# of weight and no more noticeable flexing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Law of diminishing returns. As above, many will pay a lot to shed grams, but I am not convinced the crank is the best area for it. SLX hits the value spot: Deore is 80g more, yet actually slightly stiffer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Money for blings...

mtbr member
    You are missing the strength in your legs, or a few pounds of body weight. :-)

The price of cranks is determined by their weight, durability and stiffness (oh - and marketing). But unless you are an accomplished racer, or simply above average weight (for a rider) you won't need expensive cranks. For us mere mortals the standard cranks (like e.g. SLX) will do.

But I have seen heavy DH racers bending cranks (not crash related). So I do believe that some cranks are better than others and a higher price is justified. I am just not that good,strong or heavy.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    I, for one, think cranks take alot of abuse. Try cross posting this thread in the clydesdale forum. Im sure they'll let you know how much their cranks can take.

As for >$500 cranks, well, I suppose if a guy has a custom Ti bike hes not gonna throw on cheapo cranks. As far as Im concerned Id be happy with any crank that isnt square tapered drive. Im trying my hardest to make it a circle drive. DOH!
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Nicer chainrings shift better as well, that's a big part of the price difference, as well as better bottom brackets. The weight difference can be pretty significant, 300 or 400 grams is almost a pound. I personally just sold my low end Truvativ SS cranks and ordered a pair of E13 SS cranks from the LBS, $170 with BB and another $25 for a Blackspire Mono Veloce chainring, I'm dropping about 250g for $195, plus they'll be a lot stiffer and look much better, good investment in my opinion. I'm perfectly happy with the M540 cranks on my geared bike, I would consider getting SLX cranks since you can get them for only $149 now, but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

mtbr member
    Oh, and in case you were curious, Campagnolo Super Record cranks are about $1100.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    Whole lotta nothin'.

Get the $90 LX crankset on Jenson, and be happy. When I saw that deal, I kicked myself a little bit for spending more on my SLX crank. It's nicer, but...
    I bought this crank and have been very happy with it. Very lightweight and feels great.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I always run XT cranks. The reason being they have never failed me and they are stiff and relatively light. I often buy them used. You can also get aftermarket rings cheap.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    I have a slx crank and love it I would say its the best bang for the buck