1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

what is the best MTB magazine

We trail ride in FL and enjoy expert trails and are looking for a good source to do some reading up....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DirtRag is my favorite. Best pictures and articles of the bunch and their Beer page is always a good read.

Professional Speed Bump
    I think BikeMag is popular

Picture Unrelated
    I like Decline. I really liked the few issues of Modest Bike from back in the day. Other magazines I choose based on what features they're running that month.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    DirtRag is good stuff...too bad it only comes out like 7 or 8 times a year.

AZ
    banned
    Dirt Rag , Bike as second choise .

Former Bike Wrench
    Dirt Rag...even though it's East Coast based. I love that they test 29ers, 650b, 26ers, alternative and mainstream parts and not a bunch of products made by a company that starts with Special and ends with Ed (nothing wrong with their bikes, but I swear MBA tests one every single issue and everyone is the greatest bike made).

Just wish there was a PNW version (BIKE is kind of PNW but too much Free Ride for my taste)

T.W.O.
    Dirt Rag I like the skill corner very useful, bike mag, I subscribe to MBA but I've disappointed for a long time now. Product testing is bias not to mention misprint all the time.

I've been reading the Singletrack, MBR and MBUK UK mags they are not bad at all. Cover a lot in one issue, the review are pretty good although they pro lots of UK products, Duh!!

Professional Speed Bump
    Special Ed...is that a brand for the short bus riders?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Dirt Rag...even though it's East Coast based. I love that they test 29ers, 650b, 26ers, alternative and mainstream parts and not a bunch of products made by a company that starts with Special and ends with Ed (nothing wrong with their bikes, but I swear MBA tests one every single issue and everyone is the greatest bike made).

Just wish there was a PNW version (BIKE is kind of PNW but too much Free Ride for my taste)

mtbr member
    Unfortunately all the major publications are overly commercial. To me it's silly to seek raw product reviews in a magazine such as MBA when the manufacturers are partially responsible for the publication's revenue...it's the nature of the business, however. In Utah, each month a publication known as Cycling Utah comes out. It's available in pretty much all bike shoppes, and contains pertinent information for the area, race results, tech tips, advocacy issues. The pictures are ok, the writing is better, but the price is best! (Free) Look for one of these in your neighborhood--I bet there is one somewhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco
    Unfortunately all the major publications are overly commercial. To me it's silly to seek raw product reviews in a magazine such as MBA when the manufacturers are partially responsible for the publication's revenue...it's the nature of the business, however. In Utah, each month a publication known as Cycling Utah comes out. It's available in pretty much all bike shoppes, and contains pertinent information for the area, race results, tech tips, advocacy issues. The pictures are ok, the writing is better, but the price is best! (Free) Look for one of these in your neighborhood--I bet there is one somewhere.

The best part is that you can even grab it as a PDF
    http://www.cyclingutah.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    The best part is that you can even grab it as a PDF
    http://www.cyclingutah.com/
    Exactly! Free & Convenient.

mtbr member
    Bike Mag all the way
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I like MBA, no matter how over-commercialized some say it is. I tried dirt rag once or twice, I was left scratching my head when I started reading the "illustrations" page and forgot if I was reading a mountain bike magazine or a short story.....?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    MBA, hands down. Technical reviews, unbiased, and informative. It's kind of like the mtbr of magazines.

Justa Dude
    Another vote for dirtrag.....They just don't have enough issues per year.

In between the long gaps in publications of dirtrag I get MBA. I'm thinking seriously about getting a subscription. I could change my mind about my favorite if that happens. The issues that I got were pretty good. I got a subscription to dirtrag cause it was on the list of ones I could get during one of my son's fund raisers.