1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

what is the best hitch and bike rack for a 2007 scion tc???

just got into this sport and ive been taking my bike apart and putting it in my trunk. i wanna make it easier and just get a good quality bike rack for the money.

EDR
    Generally the 'best' are the expensive ones that have a tray to set your bike in to. There are others that hold your bike by the top tube rather than supporting the wheels. These get tricky with full suspended bikes as often the rear shock gets in the way, or bikes with severely sloped top tubes. In this case a top tube adapter bar is needed. It's simply a bar that connects from your seat post to your bars that gives a nice straight pipe to hang on the rack.

The tray type are expandable to hold up to 4 bikes for a price. The top tube kind you simply purchase the 2, 3 or 4 bike option.

Tray type pros: Support from the wheel. No paint rub worries. No worries of the rubberbands used to secure bike dry rotting in the sun. No swaying. No worries about bikes bumping into one another. No top tube issues..can take most any style mtb easily.
    Top tube pros: cheaper (generally).

Various options include ones that swing out to the side, or fold down or a combo to give access to the hatch/trunk. Some can do this with bikes on board (swing out) and some you must remove the bikes first (fold down).

check out rackattack.com and ORSracksdirect

Thule 916XTR T2 2-Bike Hitch Rack 2 Inch - Thule Hitch Mount Bike Racks

I used this one for several years:
    Yakima KingPin 4 Hitch Bike Rack for 1-1/4" & 2" Trailer Hitches - 8002401

mtbr member
    If your bike is an FS, then I'd suggest a platform rack. I had a Thule 916 and those bulky wheel wells sit up right against your bumper and on some cars, like mine, it can scratch it. Platform racks like the 916 are all up there in the $400 range. If you're gonna spend that, I'd look at the Inno 305. Its a great rack that doesn't touch your frame. If you don't plan to carry more than 2 bikes, then the Yakima Stick Up would be a nice option and is priced at $234 at orsrackdirect.com.

If you ride a hard tail, then something like the Yakima Big Horn ($179.99) or Thule Sportsrack ($188) is a good option.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Uhaul is usually the cheapest place to get a hitch, if you're trying to save some scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

T.W.O.
    For a Scion TC, you'd probably want to go with roof rack, unless you can find a good riser kit you'd be scraping the rack all the time. I put a hitch on my Altima after my roof rack system was stolen, and it's a b!tch. Now I'm using hitch on my SUVs only.

I have many racks system roof, hitch from Yakima, Kuat, Thule, Saris and the factory made from Merc, and VW.

Best roof rack for me is Yakima. I like the upright kind, somehow the older King Cobra is better than the newer HighRoller, have both not a big fan of HighRoller. Thule are ok but I hate the company's business practice so I boycott their products.

Hitch rack, by far the Kuat NV, best design the handle bars never touch the saddle of another bike unlike the other brands I've tried. Yakima are also great, very easy to load and secure. Saris, the newer Thelma is good, I have the old one which does not fit many larger tires than 2.0, forget 650b and 29er. The new one address that issue. No need to talk about Thule

Hitch rack are much harder to steal than roof rack because it's bigger and it's awkward to steal,but it still happens all the time. If you are more serious about the sport consider permanent solution(drill the tower to your roof). I have all the locks installed on my Yakima Q-tower systems, not only quite easy to break it when I got mine stolen they didn't even bother breaking the locks, they just forcefully yanked it out of my roof then made a quick get away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake ninehouse View Post
    just got into this sport and ive been taking my bike apart and putting it in my trunk. i wanna make it easier and just get a good quality bike rack for the money.
    Kuat or 1Up... Hands down the best hitch racks out there

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    1upusa hands down for me.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by jake ninehouse View Post
    Been driving a tC since 2005 and I only have to remove my front wheel to put my XL and XXL bikes into the car. I can put two in at the same time and still have a clear view out my rear mirror. With one bike in there, you almost don't see it at all in there unless you really look for it because it lays down so low in there. I have put three bikes in there, but can't fit three passengers.

It's amazing what will fit in the back of that little car.

what is the best hitch and bike rack for a 2007 scion tc???-micro_tc_1a.jpg

T.W.O.
    what is the best hitch and bike rack for a 2007 scion tc???-seasucker.jpg

That's a nice TC, jeffj you are a big fella how the heck do you fit in that, plus it would be pretty tough to drift in that car

OP you can also try this one Talon | SeaSucker

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The tC has a surprisingly roomy cab area, and for me it is just big enough for me to be plenty comfortable, and 'enough' is enough. My head doesn't hit the headliner, and the leg room is fine.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    The tC has a surprisingly roomy cab area, and for me it is just big enough for me to be plenty comfortable, and 'enough' is enough. My head doesn't hit the headliner, and the leg room is fine.
    Yeah, unless the pic you show was somehow compressed on my laptop, that's looks even harder for me to get in and out. To bad though, I love to be able to put kit on smart car, I've seen some cool looking CGIs on the web.