1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: What is BB30

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

What is BB30

I'm still confused as to what BB30 is. Can someone please give me a brief explanation as to what it is compared to another bottom bracket. I'm going to build up my own bike myself soon. Just want to go in informed.

Thank you.
    I^2xR

skobiken
    Jun 2009
    Those who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin

mtbr member
    BMX bikes have been doing this for awhile, at least the dirt/park/street ones. T'he BMX ones are not BB30 standard, they call it a mid Bottom Bracket. It is similar in the since that the bearings are the same as always, the cups just got removed and the BB shell was downsided to just fit a direct bearing pressed into the frame. As with internal headsets.....looks like the road and mountain bike manufacturers will follow the BMX trend......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Great so that means my 2011 Cannondale Quick CX 3 has BB30 but does not advertise it I wonder why

Former Bike Wrench
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a BB30...generally don't see it on a $750 bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Cannondale had the BB30 standard earlier, but advertised it as "System Integration." Basically the umbrella they put all of their weird standards under, when they come up with a way for them not to be compatible with other companies' stuff.

They have a weird steer tube size on some bikes too. The hub for a lefty fork is another example. None of their ideas are necessarily bad, but sometimes they're pointless.

I actually think BB30 is a good idea. It's a lot like an external bottom bracket, which I like, but without the added complication of the bottom bracket cups. And it's bigger, so a bigger person, with a bigger engine than me, may get an improvement in efficiency. I doubt I'd feel a difference.

I'm hoping Shimano starts to support it soon.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a BB30...generally don't see it on a $750 bike.
    Its a $750 bike yes, I know for that price it does not come with a BB30 Crank or even a press fit Bottom Bracket, but I think its System Integration that Its capable of accepting a BB30, Crank and Bottom bracket should I buy the parts.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think you're confusing BB30 with the traditional cartridge style bottom brackets.

According to Cannondale, you have a Tange Seiki Cartridge BB and a Shimano M-171 crankset. If Tange's bottom brackets are like their headsets, it's actually pretty good and should give you many years of trouble-free service. However, almost all cartridge bottom brackets for bikes made for the American market are for an English-threaded bottom bracket.

If you're still not sure, post a pic of the left side of your bottom bracket. The systems look very, very different.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx