1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: What is this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

What is this?

Just got a new bike today - in signature - and I was removing the reflectors. One of the reflectors on each pedal is attached to a 'bracket' with two screws. What is this 'bracket' thing for? Should I leave it on and just pop out the reflector or should I just take it all off altogether?

I am a super amateur rider (basically for the workout and for fun) so a stock bike is fine for me but I would like some better pedals I think. Anyone have some nice used ones?
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Welcome to the madness. I just recommended that same bike to a buddy who is new to the sport as well- it looks like a great starter bike. As far as the reflectors, if you are going to be riding any roads, paved or otherwise, that car travel on, you might as well leave them on- they don't weigh anything and a little extra visibility is a good thing. If you will only go on trails, just yank them. Ride the pedals 'till they die (which might not be for a while, or it could be next week) and then look for some nice flat pedals with removable pins so you can choose the amount of traction or grip you want. $30-40 will buy a pretty nice set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It will be a trail only bike. Paved and unpaved trails, so the reflectors went. I am in the process of outfitting the bike with a headlight and taillight for dusk riding. As far as the pedals, I agree with the flats with pins. I will look at the bike shop when I go back today if they have anything. Thanks!
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats on the new bike. Pedal choice, much like many other things on a bike, are a personal choice. If your LBS doesn't have anything that you like, there are sites like PricePoint, Jensen, Universal Cycles, etc. that often have great deals on items like pedals. Good luck and have fun!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I went with a set of Stolen pedals. They are the Thermalite plastic, but have the adjustable pins.
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 4
    Viper Red/
    Trek Black