1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Wet Bandana Under Helmet

I live in Dallas. It's hot. Just started trail riding with helmet. Perhaps foolishly, my around town riding has never involved a helment.

At any rate, I tied a do-rag on my head before the helmet to avoid pinching/rubbing and keep from gooping up the padding too much.

At one point, after things got hot, I paused to drink, took helmet off and squirted bandana, put helmet back on and cruised. Was very refreshing.

Anyone see any problems with doing this? And if you've never done it, its very nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The water may drip off the do-rag and into your eyes making it hard to see.

But then again the sweat does that as well.

Have fun riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Wet Bandana Under Helmet

How did you squirt? Only dilemma I see is now having a concoction of sweat, water, and sunscreen pouring into my eyes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'd probably put it around my neck instead to avoid the issues already mentioned.

mtbr member
    Our son used something like this when we was doing A/C work in the Inland Empire.

Tourna Liquicool Bandana

I'm sure you can find similar ones all over the place.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Our son used something like this when we was doing A/C work in the Inland Empire.

Tourna Liquicool Bandana

I'm sure you can find similar ones all over the place.

John
    I use the same here in AZ. I also wear a skull cap/do-rag and wet it down sometimes.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I wear one under my helmet to keep the sweat out of my eyes but I start out with it dry. Have to at work to because of the 80-90% humidity we usually have... F-ing brutal for anyone that hasn't experienced 90% humidity at 90 degrees.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Done it that way, for many years. Works a charm.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Unpredictable
    It's popular here in Qld as well, mainly to soak up sweat and keep the glasses and eyes clear.

mtbr member
    For around your neck....
    Buy a small package of diapers. Shake out the absorbent of three diapers into your bandana see it up corner to corner leaving room for expansion. Soak overnight.

mtbr member
    I shave my head so I wear skull cap to keep a layer between me and the helmet. It also soaks up sweat and helps keep it out of my eyes and keeps me cooler. The only issue that when it reaches saturation point the sweat poors off my head when I look down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Trails View Post
    I shave my head so I wear skull cap to keep a layer between me and the helmet. It also soaks up sweat and helps keep it out of my eyes and keeps me cooler. The only issue that when it reaches saturation point the sweat poors off my head when I look down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Yeah I shave my head too, although I hadn't gotten around to skullcaps yet and their fancy wicking fabrics. It's funny how, when there isn't any hair up there, all kinds of fluids from your scalp start running loose. Sweat, hair oil, etc. But a couple of layers of wet cotton sure did feel good.

I was kind of curious if anyone thought this might be bad for helmet fit or the helmet itself. But on reflection, there wouldn't seem to be anything coming from a wet bandana that isn't coming from your head anyway so I guess it isn't an issue.