1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Went out for a ride and ended with a nice walk. :/

Hello,

I've received more helpful information from this forum and appreciate all who are willing to share. So thank you to everyone.

On to the real reason for the post. Tonight I went out for a ride and about 25 minutes in it started raining, I decided that the clouds looked a little dark so I turned around and headed back for the car. About 5 minutes later I started to climb a hill and my chain broke. I tried to repair it without any spare links or power links. I probably tried to get it back together for 15 minutes but ended up walking (luckily only about a mile and a half).

I'll watch some YouTube about the technique to successfully repair a chain. But my real question is why did my chain break (or what are some of the possibilities). I was trying to pay attention to not to cross my chain to far but maybe I am. I think the most severe combo was the smallest gear on the chain ring to my 4th of 7 gears on the cassette.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Loren

mtbr member
    Sorry but all I got for ya is chains break, as you know. And now you know why carrying a link's a good idea. Glad you didn't get hurt.
    Carry on.
    Round and round we go

AZ
    banned
    What theMeat said, carry spare quick links. As far as the chain breakage, without being there and seeing it, it is very hard to say what caused it.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    old chain? worn chain? link tweaked in a crash a week ago that finally gave out? hard to say without being there. and then, sometimes, there isn't a good answer. sometimes chains break. it sucks, but it happens. if you constantly break chains, buy a nicer one. i break a chain about once every 4 years it seems. but i still carry a quick link just in case.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sorry to hear about your mishap...

Being new to this sport, are chains upgradable? I never see a chain listed in the specs of a bike...

Are any spare links better than others? Or are they all comparable?

Sorry for the mini thread hijack, but I believe the the questions I pose are pertainent to the OPs query...

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenjz View Post
    About 5 minutes later I started to climb a hill and my chain broke.
    If I wanted to break a chain, I think I could do it pretty consistently by shifting under load, on a climb.

Not saying that's what you were doing. But if it was - that's probably what broke your chain.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maxkimber View Post
    Being new to this sport, are chains upgradable? I never see a chain listed in the specs of a bike...

Are any spare links better than others? Or are they all comparable?

Sorry for the mini thread hijack, but I believe the the questions I pose are pertainent to the OPs query...
    Don't be sorry... I'm curious about the questions you asked too.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    If I wanted to break a chain, I think I could do it pretty consistently by shifting under load, on a climb.

Not saying that's what you were doing. But if it was - that's probably what broke your chain.
    I've actually been doing a lot of reading on climbing because that is one of my major weak points. The chain did break as I was down shifting. Are there techniques to a more "gentle" way to shift?

Thanks Everyone!

Loren

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorenjz View Post
    The chain did break as I was down shifting. Are there techniques to a more "gentle" way to shift?Loren
    Yes - you need to ease off on the pedals while you shift. When the chain moves off a cog (or ring) is has to bend laterally just a bit. When the links involved are out of alignment, they are less able to handle high tension and are prone to failure. With practice, that pause will become quick and automatic.

Since chain tension is greatest while climbing, it's the worst time for shifting. When you get good at the brief pause in pedal pressure, it can be done, and at times may be unavoidable - but many times you can anticipate those situations and down shift before you get into the hard pedaling.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Picture Unrelated
    Worth mentioning, if your chain was old and stretched make sure you have your drivetrain (small and middle chainrings and cassette) inspected when you get a new chain put on. If the teeth are worn out they may not mesh well with a new chain and that can cause the chain to slip under pedaling pressure. I only mention it because that hurts pretty bad and it would be best to take care of it before you smack yourself off the top tube or stem.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post

That's a good point Andrew. Especially when changing gears on the chainrings as compared to cassette.

When going uphill, give a good hard push, then let off the pedals a bit and change gears.
    I also try not to change front gears if trail rough, or going uphill. Not sayin' I never do, or it can't be done, just that it seems that's when the chain breaks or falls off.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Not shifting under load seems tough at first, but once you get used to it, it's pretty easy. I used to cross chain and shift under load all the time, never do anymore.

mtbr member
    Shifting under load is the most common cause for a broken chain but is hard to say without being there.

Was it an old chain? They strech and breake easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My chain just broke 30 minutes ago. I took my bike out for a test ride.. the front derailleur was on the smallest ring and I was trying to shift into second but I wasn't letting me so I left it in the smallest ring but I shifted to the smallest ring (size wise) in the back. The ground was pretty much flat. Did my chain break because I had it on the smallest size ring on the front and the smallest sized ring in the back? I'm new to MTB and my bike is a 09 Giant trance x.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerzone9k View Post
    My chain just broke 30 minutes ago. I took my bike out for a test ride.. the front derailleur was on the smallest ring and I was trying to shift into second but I wasn't letting me so I left it in the smallest ring but I shifted to the smallest ring (size wise) in the back. The ground was pretty much flat. Did my chain break because I had it on the smallest size ring on the front and the smallest sized ring in the back? I'm new to MTB and my bike is a 09 Giant trance x.
    Probably had at least something to do with your chain breaking. I would suspect you might have had some fatigue in that chain before you went cross-chaining on your last ride. If you shift under pedal pressure that's a killer on chains and cross-chaining would have been your death nail.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is my crank TruVativ 5D 3.1, 22/32/42

What chain should I get? Or can my broken chain be fixed with a link?

mtbr member
    Yes, broken chain can be fixed as long as it's not bent up or mangled too bad.
    There's 6/7/8 (same size) speed, 9 speed, and now 10 speed chains. All slightly different sized but interchangable and should work in a pinch or if you're not a stickler for detail like me.
    Round and round we go