1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Well...I'm a mountain biker now! Just ask the orthopedist. :)

It's official, I've banged & battered myself, I'm a real mtber now. Last week I got a little cocky coming around a turn on a downhill section, and when I realized it was way too fast & I was about to head over the edge I locked up my rear brake & the bike slipped out from under me so I laid it down. Didn't hurt at all at the time, I hopped back on clipped back in & rode another 5 miles or so with no pain...but when I got back to the parking lot lifting the bike over my head to toss it in the rack made me yelp like a dog getting kicked. Gave it a few days to recover & each day I lost more & more range of motion & it hurts more & more...so finally I caved in & went to the orthopedist to figure out what I did.

Good news is after x-rays & a good thorough exam he confirmed I didn't tear my rotator cuff or break anything...just a nasty sprain. He says he sees it a lot in mountain bikers who hit the ground & linebackers who hit the other team. Drop your shoulder into enough things & eventually it hurts...go figure. Even better news is he says I can do anything that doesn't hurt too bad so if I give it another couple days to where I can comfortably hold the handlebars I can get back out & ride!

JRA
    Welcome to the club. Good to hear the injury won't keep you off the bike.

As I like to say-- If at first you don't succeed, get up off the ground, stop the bleeding, bang the derailluer back into place and try again.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

mtbr member
    Glad your not out long, we all go down at some point, when it is nothing major it's always good news.

Lindsay
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill-E-BoB View Post
    It's official, I've banged & battered myself, I'm a real mtber now. Last week I got a little cocky coming around a turn on a downhill section, and when I realized it was way too fast & I was about to head over the edge I locked up my rear brake & the bike slipped out from under me so I laid it down. Didn't hurt at all at the time, I hopped back on clipped back in & rode another 5 miles or so with no pain...but when I got back to the parking lot lifting the bike over my head to toss it in the rack made me yelp like a dog getting kicked. Gave it a few days to recover & each day I lost more & more range of motion & it hurts more & more...so finally I caved in & went to the orthopedist to figure out what I did.

Good news is after x-rays & a good thorough exam he confirmed I didn't tear my rotator cuff or break anything...just a nasty sprain. He says he sees it a lot in mountain bikers who hit the ground & linebackers who hit the other team. Drop your shoulder into enough things & eventually it hurts...go figure. Even better news is he says I can do anything that doesn't hurt too bad so if I give it another couple days to where I can comfortably hold the handlebars I can get back out & ride!
    Do you have any limits to your range of motion on your injured shoulder?