1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Weight reduction

I need some help with a 06' specialized sx trail 2 I got off of Craigslist

I ride with an AM/FR setup and I'm new to the sport of mountain biking. It seems real heavy compared to the trek 4300 ht I used to ride. I need some help taking off some weight, because It's getting unbelievably hard to climb. I have about $400 to spend and the bike is mostly aftermarket, so I don't know what I should spend it on.

Specs:

06' specialized sx trail frame
    Fox van r 160mm fork
    Fox dhx 5.0 shock
    2 spd 22/36 Truativ Hussfelt cranks
    Sram x0 10 speed derailleur
    Sram x7 front deraileur
    Sram x9 shifters
    Specialized demo bars
    Truativ hozzfeltzer stem
    Avid juicy 7 brakes w/ 203mm rotors
    Wellgo mg1 pedals
    Blackspire stinger chain guide
    Specialized chunderer 26x3 front/Parnacer smoke classic 26x2.1 rear
    Sram 1070 cassette

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wheels is where to start .They can make a huge impovement.

Parking Lot Poser
    I think this may be a heavy chassis to begin with.

Wheels & tires are always a good place to start when trying to shave weight, but with a limited budget..... Put the $4 hundy under your mattress so you can bet on the Super Bowl
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    This bike compared to any HT is going to ride heavy; it must weight close to 37lbs.

The geometry with a longer wheelbase will also require more effort for climbing; making it feel even heavier. You could try and adjust the shock mount to change the head angle by 1deg.

Otherwise I would save your money and ride it more; you will strengthen your body and might even like the feel of the bike; especially on the way down!

Fat-tired Roadie
    What's your goal?

That spec list reads like a sensibly equipped AM/FR bike. I don't think you're taking a lot of weight off it for $400 unless there's some really silly thing that weighs a lot that's part of it. If you're interested in freeride, a heavy-ass bike is something you get to learn to live with.

Go for a couple rides on the 4300 too. Maybe you should try to get your money back out of the SX trail and look for a more balanced setup.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm thinking about wheels, but I want something under 200 and from what I see, there aren't many in that price range

Any suggestions?

Here's a pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weight reduction-image.jpg  

Last edited by too many components; 11-15-2012 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    What's your goal?

That spec list reads like a sensibly equipped AM/FR bike. I don't think you're taking a lot of weight off it for $400 unless there's some really silly thing that weighs a lot that's part of it. If you're interested in freeride, a heavy-ass bike is something you get to learn to live with.

Go for a couple rides on the 4300 too. Maybe you should try to get your money back out of the SX trail and look for a more balanced setup.
    Problem is that I got this bike used, it just came back from a tune up and it's been a while since I brought the bike home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmatty View Post
    I think this may be a heavy chassis to begin with.

Wheels & tires are always a good place to start when trying to shave weight, but with a limited budget..... Put the $4 hundy under your mattress so you can bet on the Super Bowl
    I'm thinking on buying the WTB Bronson 26x2.35

What do you think?

Never Forget 9-11
    Looking a the pics I'd guess most of your weight is in the frame, wheels/tires, and fork. Wheels and tires will get some weight loss but for $400 your options are very limited. Does the bike suit the needs of your local trails and riding style? If not, I'd suggest selling and looking for another if weight and climbing are concerns.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What do you think about a used fork from ebay?

ready to ride
    I think everyone thinks you are not going to significantly lighten up that bike for $400. It is what it is, which is a heavy duty downhill/FR bike. Its never going to be a light XC bike.

'Tis but a scratch
    3500 calories = 1 pound. You could eat less, ride more, save $ and shave 5 pounds off the rider in just a few weeks. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    3500 calories = 1 pound. You could eat less, ride more, save $ and shave 5 pounds off the rider in just a few weeks. Just sayin'.
    35,000 calories = 10lbs (10-20 weeks)

Well, that's my short term goal anyhow. That is about half the weight of my Cannondale Trail and a third of the weight of my KHS XC...and it' free. Now I did install some lighter low resistant tires which really helps a lot.

One thing I have noticed is you really need to ride 60-120 minute a day 3-5 a week at least in order to see a noticeable weight loss. I was rode 30-40 minutes 5 days a week for a month an didn't notice any real gains. So I added an additional 20-30 minutes and hit pay dirt.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fox has a good reputation for sensibly constructed forks. I doubt you're doing a lot better.

With wheels, you can have any two of light, cheap and durable. While you could get lighter wheels for $400, I don't know that they'd be appropriate to AM/FR.

I wasn't really suggesting you could return the bike to the person you bought it from to get your money back out of it. If it's not for you, part it or sell it.

What kind of riding do you like, anyway?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by too many components View Post
    I need some help with a 06' specialized sx trail 2 I got off of Craigslist

I ride with an AM/FR setup and I'm new to the sport of mountain biking. It seems real heavy compared to the trek 4300 ht I used to ride. I need some help taking off some weight, because It's getting unbelievably hard to climb. I have about $400 to spend and the bike is mostly aftermarket, so I don't know what I should spend it on.

Specs:

06' specialized sx trail frame
    Fox van r 160mm fork
    Fox dhx 5.0 shock
    2 spd 22/36 Truativ Hussfelt cranks
    Sram x0 10 speed derailleur
    Sram x7 front deraileur
    Sram x9 shifters
    Specialized demo bars
    Truativ hozzfeltzer stem
    Avid juicy 7 brakes w/ 203mm rotors
    Wellgo mg1 pedals
    Blackspire stinger chain guide
    Specialized chunderer 26x3 front/Parnacer smoke classic 26x2.1 rear
    Sram 1070 cassette
    I think you are wasting your money trying to lighten this thing up. It is what it is (an awesome burly AM/FR bike). The frame, fork, rear shock and wheels are all heavy (for a reason), Replacing any of these with ones that are lighter but still perform as well is going to be VERY expensive per gram saved.

Continuing to crank this thing up the hills and your resulting strength as a rider is going to make WAAAAY more difference then the few pounds you might manage to shave off this bike for $1000.

If you were looking for a pedaling friendly all-rounder, then you got the wrong bike. This bike is made to go big on the DH, and just do what it takes to get it to the top, and don't be in a hurry. If this does not sound like what you want, I would sell it and get something better suited to your needs.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Rogue Exterminator
    Drill holes in the frame.
    The bigger the holes the more weight dropped.

I suggest a 1/4" drill bit because anything bigger is just ridiculous.

Other than getting rid of rotational mass you just won't gain a lot of bang for the buck.

Rotational mass = everything that spins.

After that, you will get the same results in dropping the same weight from your own ass.

BTW, my current bike is about 4 pounds heavier then my last and I can ride further and better on it. Unless your life is measured in 1/10th's of a second, spending tons of money to drop a few pounds off anything other then rotational mass isn't going to help you.

Gumnut Peddler
    I am hoping that the hole drilling in frame suggestion was a tongue in cheek sugestion/joke.
    Burning fat, not oil.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    If you were looking for a pedaling friendly all-rounder, then you got the wrong bike. This bike is made to go big on the DH, and just do what it takes to get it to the top, and don't be in a hurry. If this does not sound like what you want, I would sell it and get something better suited to your needs.
    ^^^^ THIS! Fully agree with it.

I'll take your rear mudguard and put it on my SJ...thats weight reduction for you, and a cleaner bike for me.

To be honest, I think I am in the same boat, wondering how my 07 S-Works SJ FSR has bloated to almost 30 lbs when it should be coming in at 25-27....(or am I on crack?).

-S

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    I am hoping that the hole drilling in frame suggestion was a tongue in cheek sugestion/joke.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by too many components View Post
    What do you think about a used fork from ebay?
    You've already got a pretty good Fox fork. Can't shave much weight off there if you're doing a good amount of FR.

-S

Rogue Exterminator
    Other weight reduction tips.

Get a sawzall and cut bits of the frame away.
    Cut down the seat post....better yet, get rid of it and the seat all together.
    Remove every other spoke from the wheel. Especially good because it reduces rotational mass.
    Remove brakes. You won't need them when pedaling uphill and they only slow you on the down hill.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I think you are wasting your money trying to lighten this thing up. It is what it is (an awesome burly AM/FR bike). The frame, fork, rear shock and wheels are all heavy (for a reason), Replacing any of these with ones that are lighter but still perform as well is going to be VERY expensive per gram saved.

Continuing to crank this thing up the hills and your resulting strength as a rider is going to make WAAAAY more difference then the few pounds you might manage to shave off this bike for $1000.

^^^This

It would ride different than you HT for sure, SX is way better on the descend, no comparison. If you want to do AM then take this bike, someday you feel like XC then take the HT out. Save your money for a lighter trail bike for all of the days in between

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think that the front tire is going to be replaced next. It's a hefty 26x3.0 and it probably going to be replaced by a 26x2.5 or 2.35

What to you guys think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I could probably get a used Fox tallus off eBay

I wonder how much weight that will shave...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think if you're really going to do this, you should spend some quality time with a spreadsheet and a scale. Find out how much each part actually weighs.

I'm still dying to hear what kind of riding you do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast