1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: waving

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

waving

I've been doing a lot of metro park riding this summer (2 way traffic)bike riders are a friendly group of people most everyone nods or gives the 4 finger wrist wave will I be considered a jerk if I don't return the gesture.
    MS

mtbr member
    I ride a paved path for my commute. Road bikers never wave or nod to me (through my experience, I haven't found them to be the nicest bunch; and they generally seem to think they are "priviledged"). Grudges aside, if a mountain biker nods, I'll generally return the gesture. I don't think you'll be considered a jerk, its just your personal preference. I waved to two mountain bike cops this AM, and they didnt wave back; I didnt care.

I just let one RIP
    I will usually stop another rider by pulling in front of them and stopping, then proceed to say, tell them my name, show them my bike, ask them a thousand questions about their bikes. In all, it takes about 15-20 minutes to say hi to anyone I meet on the road or trail.

I'm just kidding. It is generally considered courteous to wave or nod, especially if they have waved or nodded first. Why would you not want to be a normal human and respond to others who have greeted you?

The greeting doesn't have to be much. I've found if I'm flying downhill on my road bike, I can't really wave at others coming up the hill, so I'll just give a slight nod. I'll wave if going uphill. On the mountain bike, I'll wave or say hi to any rider coming the opposite direction or that I pass or passes me on the trail.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 08HardRock
    I ride a paved path for my commute. Road bikers never wave or nod to me (through my experience, I haven't found them to be the nicest bunch; and they generally seem to think they are "priviledged"). Grudges aside, if a mountain biker nods, I'll generally return the gesture. I don't think you'll be considered a jerk, its just your personal preference. I waved to two mountain bike cops this AM, and they didnt wave back; I didnt care.
    Yeah, we roadies get this a lot. Some really are jerks, and some of us are so zoned into our training that we really aren't paying attention. I always nod or wave when riding road and other roadies often don't return the gesture. Once this happened and we ended up going in the same direction and I made him pay (he held on okay until we hit a long shallow grade and that was the last I saw of him).

I always try to wave or nod, which is all I can do.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by luckycharms
    Once this happened and we ended up going in the same direction and I made him pay (he held on okay until we hit a long shallow grade and that was the last I saw of him).
    Its always a competition with you road guys, isnt it?...just kidding!
    The vast majority of my training is on the road, and I see all kinds. Its usually the guys who arent very good who seem too cool to wave/acknowledge...but then again, I guess its tough when youre always down on your TT bars (that cracks me up). But yes, there are also some who are just in the zone, so to speak...I've been there.

As for mtb, I think it might carry over...on the trails youre about 3 feet from the guy coming the other way so its hard to make the 'I didnt see you' case. I usually just say "hi" or "hello" or something. It irritates the crap outta me when someone doesn't say it back/flat our ignores me. I usually follow up with a nice loud '"dik!" Should I not do that? Again, usually someone who isn't very good.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

spec4life???..smh...
    Should this even be a question.

Yes if you dont acknolage someone who is trying to be freindly your are a jerk. I have been boiling on this issue for a while. People who dont give simple freindly gesture gives the rest of us mtb a bad name. You should speak to everyone you see on the trails, including hikers. How difficult is this really

In the zone???? The only way i can see this being possible is if your on a really technical sopt that requires consintration, and even then I manage a nod.

Sorry for the rant you just struck a cord

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    In the zone???? The only way i can see this being possible is if your on a really technical sopt that requires consintration, and even then I manage a nod.
    No worries...I was referring to the road, hince the paragraph separation (the "might carry over" was a little confusing, referring to not as experienced riders trying to seem hard). On the road, you have a higher rate of speed, riders on opposite sides of the road, traffic, in a rhythm...a lot more distractions. Looking for other riders to give a nod to is down on the list, and you do get in a 'zone' sometimes.

As far as mtb, it almost makes me laugh seeing riders so intense, coming 8mph at me on a singletrack and can't even manage a nod, or even a look up from what they're doing...that is what strikes a cord with me.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcxu
    No worries...I was referring to the road, hince the paragraph separation (the "might carry over" was a little confusing, referring to not as experienced riders trying to seem hard). On the road, you have a higher rate of speed, riders on opposite sides of the road, traffic, in a rhythm...a lot more distractions. Looking for other riders to give a nod to is down on the list, and you do get in a 'zone' sometimes.

As far as mtb, it almost makes me laugh seeing riders so intense, coming 8mph at me on a singletrack and can't even manage a nod, or even a look up from what they're doing...that is what strikes a cord with me.

I know nothing of the road so i cant comment on that, however as you said in mtb there are few situations that wrrent such extreme concentration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just wave back jerk.
    BROWN-CHICKEN-BROWN-COW!!!

ride the moment
    If you don't wave back you might ruin some social rider's day and then he'll come start a thread about it on MTBR, asking everyone "What's happened to mountain bikers these days?" Then all the busted old dudes will chime in and blame it on either marketing DH/FR to "punks"... or the spillover of roadies in XC racing... or the general decline of American society... and reminisce about when mountain biking used to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by spec4life
    I have been boiling on this issue for a while
    That's a major bummer man. Does it really effect your ride that much? I happen to be a very friendly and talkative guy, and I'll shoot the shyte with anybody. I'm not opposed to standing on the trail for a few minutes and talking to hikers (who I ALWAYS make an effort to be friendly and courteous around) or bikers. That being said, I don't expect anyone else to socialize or even acknowledge that I'm there. The only thing that upsets me is descending riders out of control, but honestly I don't run into that much here. If someone passes me on a trail, fire road, path, or bike lane without waving, etc. I usually forget about it within 15 or 20 ft. Maybe you should just chill out and worry about yourself instead of placing your own private expectations on others.

You will not be punished for your anger. You will be punished by your anger -Siddhartha
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

spec4life???..smh...
    I figured i would catch some flak for that post. None the less, when i set out for a ride i aint in no race to see how fast i can make the trail, i go out to releive stress and enjoy the ride. Having said that, it does effect my ride when i am in a great mood just riding along and speak to one of my fellow mtbs and either get no response or a ticked off look.

I dont know but it seems anymore people are to caught up in their own biusness. You suggest i worry about myself, but i think this is the problem.

I aint tryin to sound like no sensualist, PETA member, cry at the site of a flower guy (ill catch crap for that statement to), but is it to much to ask for a freindly gesture.
    Last edited by spec4life; 08-06-2008 at 05:53 PM.

loves me some carbon
    OP, look at it this way.
    What does it cost you to raise an eyebrow and grunt? That is a perfectly acceptable gesture.
    When people don't greet you back, they may be a jerk, OR they may be preoccupied with their thoughts and have to snap out of them to greet you back. Sometimes that happens after you have passed. Don't let it ruin your day.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Since I started this thread I've learned a fair bit about my fellow riders. I have decided not to wave but nod instead,now the only question is nod up or nod down.
    MS

loves me some carbon
    Quote Originally Posted by clip5135
    Since I started this thread I've learned a fair bit about my fellow riders. I have decided not to wave but nod instead,now the only question is nod up or nod down.
    MS
    Up. Raise an eyebrow (just one) if you can. And don't forget the grunt.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by clip5135
    MS

yep your a jerk, just as i suspected....

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Why is this a quesiton? You should be courtous to your fellow riders. Your joke wasn't funny by the way.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

The White Jeff W
    'round here I greet every rider, hiker & equestrian I encounter on the trail & have yet to be snubbed.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    pfft waves are for chumps, hugs are where its at of course if the hugee has no clue whats about to happen I end up close lining them......
    Stumpjumper HT 29'er dubbed "The Frankonmuter"

On the North Shore in Minnesota
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Always give a nod, 2 fingered wrist flick, a hello.

The ones who don't respond are the minority around here, barely happens. Even the people walking their dogs say hello.

One thing I do is about 10-15ft away I'll look right at them, make eye contact and they usually greet.

Also sometimes I get caught off guard, where I just expect a wave or nod, but they ask how's it going or something, in my dumbfoundedness I usually respond with gibberish. Like Hey hayababa or something, no one ever notices or have asked me to repeat myself. What can you do, I do respond at the least.

mtbr member
    I never wave when I'm mtb...I'm to zoned in...I'm focused...I'm competing against myself...I'm oblivious to the world...I see no one...I smell nothing...it's all about me.
    Well in all actuality I guess I'm just on a bicycle riding around in the forest, getting some exercise and enjoying the great outdoors...sure I can be polite to a fellow stranger and say hi.
    But if you don't acknowledge me I will knock you off your bike...

Alien Surf Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Why is this a quesiton?
    I was thinking the same thing. Why does questions about basic social skills always keep coming up. Do people grow up on Mars or something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have two responses when on the mountain:

1) Give me a wave, and the friendly me comes out and I see the world as good.

2) Give me attitude, and the angry me comes out and I see the world as bad.

This is why in polite society a person should acknowledge anothers friendly gesture, even if they don't want to. Do you want to encourage hate, or encourage love, you choose.