1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Water crossing tips

My favorite local trail have about 4 water crossing on it. Tow of them I can get through just fine, fairly level entry and exit. However the other two I always have an issue with. Both of them have a level entry and then a steep bank on the other side.

I find that if I'm in the right gear to get through the sand and water, that same gear is wrong for the steep bank on the other side and I'm unable to shift in time to get up the bank.

Any tips on how to get through these crossings?

mtbr member
    Speed, speed and more speed, it'll make up for a wrong gearing choice.

Fat-tired Roadie
    How's your climbing form? Are you okay at fighting your way up stupid-steep stuff and riding out of the saddle?

Really, you need to expand your range of useful cadences. Spin a higher cadence through the water crossing and mash your way up the bank on the other side. Work on being able to spin faster and fight up climbs in a taller gear until you stretch out your power band enough to include a usable gear for both the crossing and the bank.

Also, if your transition to the bank sucks, you'll lose a lot of your momentum. So if you're not shifting your weight back and lifting that front wheel up the bank, try that.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    When in doubt, speed it out haha

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I would suggest being in the proper gear for the climb and just try to carry some speed into the crossing. Once you're through the water portion, just pick up with the climbing in the proper gear and you shouldn't have a problem.

Unpredictable
    If you run a 2 or 3 front ring setup, try dropping to a lower front ring from the appropriate higher front gear used when crossing the creek. In a 3 ring setup you get an immediate approx 2 gear drop that may be enough to let you mash up the bank more easily. I find that quicker and more effective than mucking around with the rear cluster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll try your tips on my next ride!

T.W.O.
    You are in Socal, what trail are you referring to? A few trails I ride have water crossing and they are not the same. If it's the same trail I ride I may be able to help you with specific.

In general, this should help you.
    Water crossing, Rocks, roots from one of the nicest Pro I know Tara Llanes
    Bikeskills.com: Roots Rocks and Water Crossings - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    You are in Socal, what trail are you referring to? A few trails I ride have water crossing and they are not the same. If it's the same trail I ride I may be able to help you with specific.

In general, this should help you.
    Water crossing, Rocks, roots from one of the nicest Pro I know Tara Llanes
    Bikeskills.com: Roots Rocks and Water Crossings - YouTube
    Thanks for the video, very helpful. The trail I'm referring to is trabuco creek rd. have you ridden it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My advice is to watch others making the same crossing and see what their doing. That or ask people you find hanging out around he parking lot.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by swcreates View Post
    Thanks for the video, very helpful. The trail I'm referring to is trabuco creek rd. have you ridden it?
    Yeah, a long time ago, I rode it a few times. If I remember correctly a the crossing is filled with babies head as well as the ramp on the other side right?

Well, just have to learn to shift faster, since you can clean the crossing and left with only the ramp climb. Figure out what is the best gear to climb the ramp and pick the spot to shift if you have a few seconds to spare you can do it