1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Want to upgrade from a giant talon....

Hey guys, right now im riding a 2011 Giant Talon 29er. Im pretty much all about long distance from smooth trails and sometimes road. I live in Il and ride mostly the des plains river trail 40+ miles a ride. Im not sure what kind of bike I should be looking for. I do not want a road bike. I have been looking at specialized but am not sure which to get. I checked out the rockhopper pro. I dont want to spend over $2000 if i dont have too. The bike I have now I just seem to be chugging along with.
    Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Want to upgrade from a giant talon....

Vague post. Chugging along? Like heavy?
    Elaborate a tad more so it'll be easier to help ya

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    Vague post. Chugging along? Like heavy?
    Elaborate a tad more so it'll be easier to help ya

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE
    Yea I would say slow and heavy. But i guess that would be because its made for off road right? I was planning on doing more with this bike but I decided I like doing long distance more. I dont think a road bike is what i want tho because some of the trails I ride get rocky

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

What's your budget? Do you like the ride of a 29er? Giants new talon is 27.5 which is the new "cool thing" and i ts supposed.to.roll over stuff well and have the flickablility of a 26.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    $2000, maybe more. I dont think I want another Talon. Id like to try a different brand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

You have a good budget to start with. Do you want to stay with a hard tail or full suspension? You will get better components on a hard tail for the same price as a full sus. I would get out and go to as many lbs as you can to ride a variety of bikes. Maybe write down on a piece of paper of what bikes you rode , their price, their component specs and what you liked and didn't like about the bike.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think I'm going to do that. There were guys on the trail today that were zoomin past me on these skinny things. They looked like road bikes but i didnt think road bikes did well on trails? Its a pretty smooth trail. I think i was doing a 5.5 minute mile which is really crappy cause I run a faster mile than that

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

http://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes...ar-niner-elite
    (1699 at performance bike)
    Solid bike, good spec and just under your price range

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFreak View Post
    I think I'm going to do that. There were guys on the trail today that were zoomin past me on these skinny things. They looked like road bikes but i didnt think road bikes did well on trails? Its a pretty smooth trail. I think i was doing a 5.5 minute mile which is really crappy cause I run a faster mile than that
    You may have been passed by cycle cross bikes. That may be what you are looking for. Or you might be able to put some skinnier (higher pressure to keep from flatting) slicker tires on and get a couple more miles/hour for under a hundred bucks. You may even be able to go to something like a 700c X 33mm which is a cross tire. Also don't discount that the guys that past you may have been drafting of the leader so they weren't working very hard.

I would be looking at my wheel bearings, tire pressure and pedaling form before I went bike shopping though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've never heard of cyclocross before but that sounds like what I want. I'll look into that more. I have a 300 mile ride coming up. Are they good for these kind of distances? Thanks

mtbr member
    You want the speed of a road bike but the ability to ride in dirt? If that's the case a cross bike is what you want or you could put some hybrid tires on your Talon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can you guys recommend any cross bikes around $2000?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good info., thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Another strong option is a used Scott Scale Expert 2012. Very popular as a XC race bike at a reasonable price with a dual air Reba fork.
    Here's a RC version with even better components of ebay in a large.
    Scott Scale 900RC Carbon Hardtail 29er Large | eBay
    The same-is carbon frame with rear seat stay compliance.

mtbr member
    If you're not looking to get a bike that looks like a road bike (cyclecross) and still looks like a mountain bike, then you still have a few options.

Giant Roam XR2 ($1075)

My co-worker rides his to work. I've cruised it around the block a few times and the geometry makes it a pretty comfortable bike to ride.

Specialized Crosstrail Comp ($1200) There is a Pro version with a better gruppo for $1970.

If you want a cyclecross, then you may want to check out the Felt F65X. Its an awesome bike for $1750.

Want to upgrade from a giant talon....-f65x_small.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm definitely going with a cross bike. They sound perfect for my style of riding. I will check out the felt and specialized. I been reading on the cannondale SUPERX CARBON RIVAL too and the specialized crux. Thanks for everyone's help!