1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2

    Wanna ride to work - what am I missing (for equipment)

    Ahoy!

    Okie.. It's about 9.6 Miles to work, and I'm trying to get myself in shape to make it a regular thing... I'm not planning on riding at night, so skipping the whole strobe light thing for now.

    What I have:

    * Stock 2013 Trek 8.3 DS
    * Empty underseat bag
    * Helmet
    * Water bottle
    * Bike Lock
    * Painful stock saddle

    What else do I need?!

    My ideas (correct me if I'm wrong!)

    * Replacement Tire Tube/Fix-a-Flat?
    * Rim Levers?
    * Frame-Mounted Bike Pump?
    * New Saddle?
    * Bike shorts?
    * Side mirror(s)?
    * Small first-aid kit for underseat bag?


    Feel free to strike/change/add anything at your leisure - I'm a noob and need direction



    Thanks!

    -Drew

  2. #2
    I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Reputation: Zachariah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Gren View Post
    Ahoy!

    Okie.. It's about 9.6 Miles to work, and I'm trying to get myself in shape to make it a regular thing... I'm not planning on riding at night, so skipping the whole strobe light thing for now.

    What I have:

    * Stock 2013 Trek 8.3 DS
    * Empty underseat bag
    * Helmet
    * Water bottle
    * Bike Lock
    * Painful stock saddle

    What else do I need?!

    My ideas (correct me if I'm wrong!)

    * Replacement Tire Tube/Fix-a-Flat?
    * Rim Levers?
    * Frame-Mounted Bike Pump?
    * New Saddle?
    * Bike shorts?
    * Side mirror(s)?
    * Small first-aid kit for underseat bag?


    Feel free to strike/change/add anything at your leisure - I'm a noob and need direction



    Thanks!

    -Drew
    Get two locks, for security redundancy and to avert opportunistic thieves. Sure a tube, levers and a bandages work - if you plan on crashing a lot or expect punctures. I wouldn't sweat popped tubes, if riding on pavement, though.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

  3. #3
    Total Goober
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    869
    Will your bike be left out, or sitting in your eyesight? That affects how much stuff you want to leave on it, like the bag under the seat.

    I would carry an all-in-one tool. They can be cheap and small. I always carry stuff to fix flats (tube, lever, pump).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

  4. #4
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    If you haven't done much riding yet, all saddles are painful. That does not eliminate the possibility that your current seat is not the right width or shape for you, though.

    Where are you parking the bike? Street, office, garage with restricted acess?

    Do you have route options? Scenic and pleasant but longer? Shorter but goes over all the hills? One where you are constantly threatened by texting football moms?

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    930
    For riding to work also get a CO2 inflator, portable pumps are a PITA at 7:00AM in the morning when you get a flat and are rushing to work.
    If you are on roads I also highly recommend USB charged high intensity LED blinkers both front and rear that can be seen during daylight - it significantly reduces the amount of times I get cut up by drivers

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    [QUOTE=Zachariah] Get two locks, for security redundancy and to avert opportunistic thieves. Sure a tube, levers and a bandages work - if you plan on crashing a lot or expect punctures. I wouldn't sweat popped tubes, if riding on pavement, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Will your bike be left out, or sitting in your eyesight? That affects how much stuff you want to leave on it, like the bag under the seat.

    I would carry an all-in-one tool. They can be cheap and small. I always carry stuff to fix flats (tube, lever, pump).
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    If you haven't done much riding yet, all saddles are painful. That does not eliminate the possibility that your current seat is not the right width or shape for you, though.

    Where are you parking the bike? Street, office, garage with restricted acess?

    Do you have route options? Scenic and pleasant but longer? Shorter but goes over all the hills? One where you are constantly threatened by texting football moms?
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    For riding to work also get a CO2 inflator, portable pumps are a PITA at 7:00AM in the morning when you get a flat and are rushing to work.
    If you are on roads I also highly recommend USB charged high intensity LED blinkers both front and rear that can be seen during daylight - it significantly reduces the amount of times I get cut up by drivers
    Thanks for all the responses!

    Zach: Not hugely concerned with bike security, I would bring it into work with me - I weigh 230 lbs, so I'm worried about the blowing out a tire

    BigSteve: I'm guessing my leatherman probably won't cover it Any recommendations for the items you mentioned? (tool, lever, tube & pump)

    Perttime: Bringing the bike into work with me and it's behind locked doors - I do have some route options, and I need to figure out which is best - unfortunately they all take me into the city (Hartford), which worries me a bit..

    SimpleJon: Hmm, c02 inflator, never thought of that - are these any good: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YntehGQxL.jpg
    Any specific recommendations on the LED blinkers?



    Also, forgot to mention in my list, I have a small side mirror, are they a must?

  7. #7
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,887
    Streets have many threats against your tires too. Glass is one. In some locations people really seem to need reinforced tires and/or slime tubes or something similar. I cannot know if that would be worthwhile for you. For maximum flat preparedness, you need a tube, a patch kit, and a pump - and knowing how to use them. CO2 is faster but you can run out of CO2 cartridges, so relying on it exclusively has its risks.

    A mirror can be good for warning you when something faster is approaching. My routes mainly keep me away from cars, so I don't need that for situational awareness.

    Riding with cars, it is usually good to be visible. Bright colors - even signal yellow - can help.
    Don't hide hugging the curb. Position yourself so that you are in a place where drivers can see you. Keep a distance from parked cars: what if someone opens the door right when you are passing...

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,041
    a rear rack! I used to ride to work with a backpack, then tried a messenger bag, then installed a rear rack with a trunk bag and it was very liberating. I carry:

    clean clothes, most importantly a t-shirt.
    water bottle
    tool kit- multitool, spare tube, one tire lever, Lezyne pump
    lights- red one on the back of my back and on the back of my helmet. little white binky on the front of my helmet, big ol Nite Rider Minewt 750 mounted on handlebar.
    lunch!
    I don't carry a lock because I just bring my bike into work with me.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OmaHaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    620
    Few things I recommend after commuting for the better part of 20yrs:

    1. Ditch the leatherman-style tools. Look your bike over, pick out the exact tools for the job, roll them up in a ziplock and stow them with a small razorblade. I have found the leatherman style tools to be useless and heavier than what I actually needed.

    2. Yes, as people said, a CO2 inflation device is great. I like this one: https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/inflat...-inflator-only

    3. A simple, cheap, rear rack can help a lot. $15 will get you a Sunlite rack that will hold 50lb. Kind of a no-brainer. If you get tired of carrying something on your back, just bungie it to the rack.

    4. Lighting!!!!! Tail-lights are cheap and easy to find. Headlights, not so much. 150-700lumens, make sure it will run double your commute time. And it doesn't hurt to by a cheap backup light. Lights are a must. Petzel headlamp is also a nice accessory.

    5. Clothing... have a universal bright colored top (orange or yellow). Then don't get too crazy on price for base-layer stuff or shorts. Spend your $$$ on outerwear... rain and cold weather stuff. Do not limit yourself to "bicycle-centric" clothes.

    6. FENDERS!
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    396
    I ride a bike 15 miles to work a couple times a week. I live on the edge and just bring ONE good lock and a multi-tool.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanna ride today?
    By Hollyw00d in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 11:28 AM
  2. Anyone missing equipment?
    By Maday in forum Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  3. Wanna ride?
    By danglingmanhood in forum New York
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM
  5. I just wanna ride
    By David C in forum Passion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •