1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Wahoo vs Hardrock

I was wondering how you guys feel the Specialized Hardrock (specifically the sport disc, +/- the 29ers) compares to the 2011 Wahoo. I saw that the '12 Wahoo is going to be a 29er and the downgraded the components and cut ~$100 off the price tag, so I'll limit this discussion to the '11 model I suppose.

I have experience with Trek bikes before and love their frames/frame quality, but I have no experience with Specialized, however given their popularity im sure they are just as high quality.

Here is the Hardrock:
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

Here is the Wahoo:
    Wahoo - Trek Bicycle

I'm not too set on either 26 vs 29 right now, nor am I set on any particular manufacturer, but I wanted to get an idea of how these two bikes compare to each other seeing that the pricepoint is very similar.

Also, if you have any other make/model bikes you think are comparable to these, please feel free to drop a suggestion! My main desires are a good frame and good front fork.

Thanks again!

ummmm.. what!?
    Extremely comparable bikes. Like the wheel specs on the wahoo. Prefer the brakes on the specialized. I would ride them an see what feels more right to you.. if you still can't decide.. then turn to dealer support. Both companies gave great customer service from what I hear. If all else fails and you're still really stuck.. Susan b anthony will have an answer for you!
    Its a JEEP thing. I drive one and still don't understand..

b a n n e d
    I hate specialized bikes. They use FAR too many proprietary parts that can make service and repairs both costly and inconvenient (more so than usual).

I have had several Fisher bikes before they were acquired by Trek and loved every one of them. Solid frames for sure and I would imagine that trend has continued with Trek. Personally, I'd go for the Wahoo or even the Marlin (I have had two Marlin's in the past and they were great bikes).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a specialized hardrock and have been to the bike shop about 15 times this season getting things fixed

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    * the bike is only a year old

Some Dude
    Can't comment on the Wahoo but I bought my 2010 Hardrock Disc 29er off CL a couple months ago and it has served me fine so far. It could probably use a tune up however.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the Wahoo and love it, at the price point. I've not had any component issues this season and have put it through some hell.
    I cannot compare it to the Spec because I haven't riden that specific bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I bought my 2011 Hardrock sport disc almost a month ago. I was also looking at the Wahoo at the same time. I liked the specs of the Wahoo a little better but liked the red/black of the HR. The Trek Store in town told me they didn't have any Wahoo's and that they weren't being made anymore. I rode the HR and a couple of Giants after that and went with the HR.

Anyway, I would have gone with the Wahoo if the Trek Store hadn't been a bunch of idiots.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was also told that there weren't any Wahoos, but my LBS called me when they were able to find one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went to LBS to buy a Specialized Hardrock and walked out with a Wahoo 29er (black/red). Specs could be better, but the price was right for a beginner bike and it's been a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a '10 Wahoo and loved it. Was looking at the the Hardrock along with the Trek 4500 originally but eventually made my way to the Wahoo. I've since moved to an EMD but still enjoy the Wahoo from time to time.