Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Very New and Dont Know What I Need!!

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  GrayBeard Pirate 
#1 ·
Ok I am 33 years old and just recently got into riding. I have a dirtbike past and never really thought I would get into mountain bikes. But here I am I have been on three rides and love it. I have been shopping around looking for a bike in my budget. My budget is a grand and thats high balling it. I would like to stay around 600 to 700 dollars. It is down right confusing with all the bikes out there. So I want every bodies opinion. I am 5ft11 I will be riding trails and street but more trails. I have been looking at mostly Scott and Specialized and one Giant. Should I get full suspension or a hard tail, what kind of brakes, and so fourth. So any info would be great info. Thank you.

#2 ·
you should get a hardtail, full suspension in that price range won't be much of a bike, you'll need gear/tools too. you're best to go to a LBS and test ride as many as you can, then you can decide if used or new is for you, you'll want hydraulic disc brakes, its best to gets as good a bike as you can afford, upgrading gets expensive real fast.
Put your front brake on the right hand side so you'll feel at home, but remember you're the motor so twisting the right grip does nothing..Happy Trails

#3 ·
as manabiker said, check out all the LBSs around and see what is in your price range. maybe you'll luck out and find a 2010 model that's cheaper than 2011. scott, specialized, and giant will serve you well. i agree with the hard tail instead of the full suspension too. you should be able to find a decent entry level hard tail for under a grand.

see which bikes fits you best. if there are a few that fit you well, post them here and ask opinions; however, many bikes at the same price point are spec'd very similarly.

good luck!
ez

#5 ·
NOOBS!!!!! Stop!!!! You have all the info needed, already answered in this site or on the net in general. Look... a bike is not very complicated, frame, cockpit, drivetrain. There are a large number if BRANDS but not many MANUFACTURERS.(in your price range)
Frames will be pretty much the same, cockpit will have few major differences, drivetrain only a couple choices, forks... same idea. Use your fancy computer and research, you will find out how similar your choices will be. $$$ matters, every dollar more you can spend now will save more later. Go to the web sites, everything is there, you do NOT need to be an axpert to recognize that a metal part will be better than a plastic part therefore more $, More options or features on a part =... more $ etc. Pick apretty color(sarc.), buy a bike, ride, enjoy. Welcome to the club!

#6 ·
Definately keep full suspension out of your consideration. You can definately get a very decent hardtail in that price range though, thats what I paid for my bike in 2009.

I would recommened looking at the Trek Marlin 29er if any of your LBS's have it. My roommate just got one and it's a nice bike for the price IMO.

The most important consideratio when looking at your first bike is, how well does the bike fit you. Fit and feel is the most important thing to a bike, you want a bike to fit like an old pair of jeans.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks all for your input. What does everybody think about these 29ers is it really that much better or is it just what is hot right now? How would they be for a beginner? Also there are so many brands out there. I have personally looked at Scott, Speciallized, Giant and Raleigh. Which brands should i stick to looking at I saw a photo on here of a Windsor that the seat frame post broke from around the top of the frame and that scares the hell out of me. So give me some input I found a used Speciallized full susp bike with the XTR drivetrain and they are asking 1200.00 and the bike looks like its in great shape. It has lockouts on the frt and rear suspention also, worth looking at or stay away from. Also how about the Motobecane brand good stuff or not?

#8 ·
ybanshee said:
Thanks all for your input. What does everybody think about these 29ers is it really that much better or is it just what is hot right now? How would they be for a beginner? Also there are so many brands out there. I have personally looked at Scott, Speciallized, Giant and Raleigh. Which brands should i stick to looking at I saw a photo on here of a Windsor that the seat frame post broke from around the top of the frame and that scares the hell out of me. So give me some input I found a used Speciallized full susp bike with the XTR drivetrain and they are asking 1200.00 and the bike looks like its in great shape. It has lockouts on the frt and rear suspention also, worth looking at or stay away from. Also how about the Motobecane brand good stuff or not?
Hey whats up with that Semaj guy he seems to be yelling at you:D Anyway I personally would stick to a hardtail at first because as soon as you really get in deep like the rest of us, than you will quickly realize that your full suspension budget will start around at least 2500 bux.
My wife doesn't even bat an eye anymore cause I got her into it and she was telling me about a Specialized enduro she was eyeballing for 3200. The funny part is two years ago she thought 500 was an outrageous price for an MTB.
Also every good stable of bikes has a good hardtail in it's fleet. I love my hardtail for multiday backpacking and carying cargo. I think you would be fine on a 29er because of your height, but for me I would be reluctant to try one cause I'm only 5' 8" 200lbs By the way how much do you weigh?

#9 ·
I am 180lbs and my wife thinks I am crazy for willing to spend up to a grand. I am trying not to run out and buy something to quick, but I am so ready to hit a trail. I am going in the morning to a couple of other bike stores to see what they have! I would like to find a good used bike but all the ones I find are either trashed or out of my price range. So keep up the tips I need all the ones I can get.

#10 ·
I think some of those 29er hardtails would be a good choice for you. Better that you look into the details first than after the fact. There may not be a huge difference, but it's best to feel confident that you are making a good purchase.

If someone can't find the time and patience to give a helpful response, it's not your problem. This is a forum afterall and if something is that cut and dried for everyone, they could/should make it s 'sticky' and have it be easy to see instead of making everyone search.

#11 ·
yeah, don't pay attention to semaj. we were all in your shoes one day- feel free and ask whatever you wish.

many people think spending more than $700 on a bike is crazy. they just don't understand what goes into a good quality bike. i think it's important to get something that will last so spending around a $1k is good. luckily, my wife understands and now she want's a $2k bike :D

29ers and the brands you listed are good for beginners. as long as you stay away from the big box store brands, you'll be good. even the REI brands are good too.

you can get some good deals from online bikes like windsor and motobecane, but for a beginner i think it's important to be able to ride the bike in advance since geometry differs so much among manufacturers.

#14 ·
ybanshee said:
What does everybody think about the Raleigh Talius 5.0 I can get one from a guy my wife works with for 350 and it looks great whay does everybody think?
My biggest issue with the Raliegh Talus is the bottom bracket drop is only 32mm. That's kind of a tall BB height for a 29er XC hardtail IMHO. Usually, it's FS 29ers that have those numbers for BB drop because once the rider sits on the bike and the suspension sags, it's right in there around 50-60mm like a lot of 29er hardtails.

Why does this make a difference?

The lower BB height helps to keep the weight of the rider (standing on the pedals) lower, relative to the axle height. That is one factor that makes 29er corner like they are rails. That's why downhill bikes have lower BB heights compared to freeride bikes. It helps them stay planted in the corners. The downside is that you run the risk of more pedal strikes, especially with longer wheelbase bikes.

The component spec on the Talus 5.0 is plenty good compared to other bikes you could get for $350, but they are decidedly 'entry level'. I don't think you'll easily beat that deal for $350, and it seems you are an ideal candidate to get an entry level bike so you can explore mountain biking and see just where you fit into the sport, if at all.

#15 ·
Yeah for 350 its not a bad price the only problem is as you get better it will become some what expensive to upgrade. The crank is very cheap the fork is very cheap the brakes are cheap and the wheels will be sloppy. If you like the sport this bike will become almost useless. The bd bike has good parts that could be changed to a better frame later if you like the sport. Not to say the bd frame is bad but if you want to change to a fs frame the tora fork is a u turn so you can change it from 100mm to a 130mm.

On the other end if you dont like the sport you are only out 350 dollars

#16 ·
jpeters said:
Yeah for 350 its not a bad price the only problem is as you get better it will become some what expensive to upgrade. . . . . . . .

On the other end if you dont like the sport you are only out 350 dollars
:thumbsup: This is exactly the point of starting out with an 'entry level' bike. The likelihood that you'll 'nail it' with your first bike purchase is somewhere between slim and none. And like you say, if you don't take to it, you are only out $350.

Upgrading most entry level bikes is not the best way to progress. It's akin to trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Get your entry level bike, ride it often, fix what breaks with modest replacement parts and start saving for your 2nd bike. That's the one where you try to 'nail it'.

#17 ·
jeffj said:
:thumbsup: This is exactly the point of starting out with an 'entry level' bike. The likelihood that you'll 'nail it' with your first bike purchase is somewhere between slim and none. And like you say, if you don't take to it, you are only out $350.

Upgrading most entry level bikes is not the best way to progress. It's akin to trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear. Get your entry level bike, ride it often, fix what breaks with modest replacement parts and start saving for your 2nd bike. That's the one where you try to 'nail it'.
Yeah I would go for it for 350 dollars. if you like the sport you can look at spending more (as long as the bike fits you get it.)

#18 ·
Have you budgeted for all the extras as well. Spare tubes, pump, multi tool, camel back or water bottles, helmet, computer if you want one, gloves, pedals (stock petals suck), lock, etc. It's real easy to drop hundreds after the initial bike purchase.

I'm 5'10" and a Clyde and I upgraded from a 26" Giant to a Giant Talon 29er. I personally love my Giants. I feel they are great bike for the money. But if a bike doesn't fit you well someone else's opinion doesn't mean crap. Test ride before you buy.

#19 ·
lumber825 said:
Have you budgeted for all the extras as well. Spare tubes, pump, multi tool, camel back or water bottles, helmet, computer if you want one, gloves, pedals (stock petals suck), lock, etc. It's real easy to drop hundreds after the initial bike purchase.

I'm 5'10" and a Clyde and I upgraded from a 26" Giant to a Giant Talon 29er. I personally love my Giants. I feel they are great bike for the money. But if a bike doesn't fit you well someone else's opinion doesn't mean crap. Test ride before you buy.
Yeh even after I spend a grand, I have money set aside for gear and spare parts. I looked a Giant Talon 1 29er if you dont mind what did you pay for it (ball park dont have to give me exact amount) and how do you like it?

#20 ·
List was I think $965. I got it for $900 even. So far I love it. Haven't been out to much this year but I find myself going over rocks and tree's that I wouldn't have attempted with the 26'" bike. I'm no expert so I can't say how good or bad any of the components are. This is my 4th Giant and I really like the Giant line.

#21 ·
lumber825 said:
List was I think $965. I got it for $900 even. So far I love it. Haven't been out to much this year but I find myself going over rocks and tree's that I wouldn't have attempted with the 26'" bike. I'm no expert so I can't say how good or bad any of the components are. This is my 4th Giant and I really like the Giant line.
Giants are good bikes I like them you may also look at a setta ace at your price point well its a little high but its a good bike
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18...m&zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=30&zmap=018 SETAC8

#22 ·
#23 ·
Rock Shox Monarch 2.1 - no Lockout.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/rear-shock/rockshox/monarch-2-1/PRD_416346_138crx.aspx

I was just in your same boat, just got a 2011 Diamondback Response Comp for $370, I love it personally. ( though the stock wheels gave out way too fast) Fits well etc, which as others have said is the most important point. It's more important to have a bike you know will fit and ride well, than to have top of the line parts from the get go. While upgrading can get expensive fast, it is unlikely that withing 6 months you'll be wanting to hit the harder trails requiring a big upgrade. I say, get something fitted and entry level decent, then replace parts as they wear out. Deals on parts are usually pretty easy to find as well. Good luck!

#25 ·
Semaj102767 said:
NOOBS!!!!! Stop!!!! You have all the info needed, already answered in this site or on the net in general. Look... a bike is not very complicated, frame, cockpit, drivetrain. There are a large number if BRANDS but not many MANUFACTURERS.(in your price range)
Frames will be pretty much the same, cockpit will have few major differences, drivetrain only a couple choices, forks... same idea. Use your fancy computer and research, you will find out how similar your choices will be. $$$ matters, every dollar more you can spend now will save more later. Go to the web sites, everything is there, you do NOT need to be an axpert to recognize that a metal part will be better than a plastic part therefore more $, More options or features on a part =... more $ etc. Pick apretty color(sarc.), buy a bike, ride, enjoy. Welcome to the club!
Since all the information is already here, the mods should just close the forum and make it search only. Seriously, if you don't like answering noob questions, stay out of the beginners section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.