1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Values for the Linked Used Bikes?

Hi folks,

So in my last post I asked a question about an upgrade bike for my oldest son. We picked up his new Giant Revel last weekend and spent some time riding by the lake with it later that day.

Well...now it's my turn to upgrade from my older Trek 820 Antelope. Personally, I'm going to like anything that handles trail riding better than it. So below are a couple of CL bikes that I'm pondering. I'm hoping you'll let me know if they're decent values or not.

But before that I'm also wondering how accurate the values of used bikes are on the Bicycle Blue Book site? For instance, I saw someone selling a bike for over $600 more than the BBB value - though there may have been upgraded parts involved that the seller felt added additional value.

Bike Value Questions:

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Elite XXL Frame/Fork/Wheelset
    - Note with this one I realize there are parts missing, so I'm wondering if the value of this bike as-is will be better than buying it new. I don't know that I need race-ready parts as this will be used for weekend trail riding mainly.

2011 Trek Gary Fisher 29er X-Caliber

gary fisher joshua f4 full suspension

Gary Fisher Level Betty FH1

I also found some Trek GF bikes, Cannondale, Giant, etc that have decent values compare to BBB's values but that seem pretty average and not outside what I'd consider a normal valuation (~$300 for Trek 3900, etc).

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Medicius

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think bicycle blue book is claiming much more authority than they can really justify. But, other posters think they're at least ballpark. $300 sounds high for a 3900, though, and I've heard they come in low for classics.

For myself, I start by looking up the original MSRP. Name-brand bikes rapidly drop to about half that, and depreciate with time and damage.

I wouldn't buy a used bike I couldn't actually test ride. I don't generally believe people's "upgrades" actually add value.

At the end of the day, there's not going to be an objective answer. It's what you and the seller agree it is. Trust your gut, and don't second-guess yourself once you own a new bike.

I'd skip the Joshua. And any other older (like 5-10+ years) full suspension bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You have a 17.5" X-Cal and a 23" Stump.
    5'8"-5'10" or so and 6'4" and more.
    You should determine your size if you can.
    The X-Cal should have a decent Reba fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do you maintain your 820? There are some additional wrinkles with the new brakes and suspension, but really not that much.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Damn. I didn't even think about that . The 23" is going to be the best then for my 6'3" frame. I'll keep searching. I just need to price out the parts on the Stump and see what I get for a total.

And regarding the used bikes, I would test ride them, but I can't say that I know what to look for vs. avoid.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate them.