1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

V brakes or disck brakes

I was jsut wondering if anybody prefers cable v brakes, or cable disc brakes.

I am looking to upgrade my brakes on an 05 Specialized rockhopper Comp, and was wondering if i should make the switch to disc brakes or just buy XTR v brakes, or Avid...

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    avid disc.
    :wq

local trails rider
    Are your hubs disc compatible?

Avid has a good reputation. If you want cable discs, choosing Avid is a no-brainer. If you want hydraulic discs, Avid is still one of the best, but others can be very good too.

I have Shimano V's on my HT bike and they are not bad: I do not like to ride in wet and muddy conditions and my local trails are not very fast. Next time I have some loose money, I'll get Avid cable discs for it. Cables and not hydros, because I already know how to deal with cables.

mtbr member
    Agreed...go for avid discs. depending on what kind of riding you do would determine mechanical or hydraulic. if you do a lot of intense, downhill/riding with speed, hydraulics would be better suited since they can handle higher heat and would perform better. If you're more of an easy going rider or do lighter cross country mechanical disc brakes would work great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I started riding again early this year, and I ended up getting a new bike with lower end mechanical disc brakes.

On one hand, they are nice because they are easier for me to asdjust and don't change their behavior when they get muddy.

On the other hand, in the past I have had bikes with cantilever and v-brakes. I think the v brakes were nicer than the cantilever, but I am not seeing any difference between discs and the vbrakes-- mostly mechanical disc brakes seem like marketing driven bling, at least at my price point.

I post too much.
    Cheap disk brakes just don't work as well as nice v-brakes. If you were to go with v-brakes I'd consider offerings by avid, very solid performer. If you want cable disc brakes, avid also. Hydraulic disc brakes, anything that isn't made by hayes.

mtbr member
    Yea mechnical brakes you wont see much of a difference to V's, once you get into the world of hydraulics though theyll throw you over the handle bars and call you Susan if you dont know how to tame em.

mtbr member
    You won't see a great difference until it gets wet. A decent disc, I used Avids, will give consistant power no matter the conditions. I like the disc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I disagree, I have hydraulics and they make a huge difference as far as control bombing down a hill, hydraulics are fairly reliable

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    I disagree, I have hydraulics and they make a huge difference as far as control bombing down a hill, hydraulics are fairly reliable
    Hydraulics are more expensive to maintain though. Don't get my wrong, my only brake(rear one) is an avid juicy 5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What about this setup, this guy wants to sell me his 06 BB7's and with WTB Laserdisc XC rims and Avid FR-5 levers for $325, good deal or no?

Exploreur de Citée
    Go for the Avid disc brakes.
    D.Xenotime

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Deffinitely disc.

V Brakes damage your rims, are harder to adjust, and a pain to hold your pads in place while tightening and adjusting the cable, if you unclamp the brake to remove the wheel it's never perfect when you put it bake on. Disc brakes simple to adjust, no tools to replace pads, pads move in or out by rotating a knob, wheel removes without doing anything to the brake, and they look so damn cool.

Avid mechanicals rule periode. I never rode hydraulics, but for price, performance, the Avid mechanicals are a steal.

You goptta have a disc compatible hubs and fork though otherwise you might be doing some wheel and fork upgrades

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I'm loving hydraulic discs, but I must admit for a weight-weenie bike, I'm so tempted to go back to Shimano XTR V-Brakes or Avid V-Brakes. Half a kg saving, it's pretty substantial if you're running on reasonably flat courses.

1.21 Jigowatts!
    I don't have a set of disc brakes, but I can tell you for the riding I have been doing my XT Vbrake setup has never failed me and does its job better then any other setup I've run.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

Got Trails?
    if youcan swing it get the avid bb7 mechanical disc brakes. I have them & they are great. They stop super quick through any conditions. Just a great mechanical disc brake for the money.
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you ride in a lot of mud or wet conditions disc brakes are the way to go. If you ride in dry conditions and don't do a lot of extended steep decents V-brakes are still a good choice.