mtbr member

A bit overwhelmed!

Hi everyone, David here.
    As the post title suggests I知 suffering from a bit of analysis paralysis.

I知 entering the sport as a roadie though I致e been off the bike for about six months because I lost the desire to ride. No particular reason other than it just wasn稚 doing it for me anymore.

I used to race bmx a few dozen years back. Totally loved that. I知 looking to rekindle my love of bikes by venturing off-road.

I currently own a 2000段sh Specialized Expedition hybrid that has suffered from disuse. My road bike is a 2012 Brodie Pace.

My planned riding is a mix: gravel bike paths, proper single track, and a bit of pavement on scoots around the neighbourhood. I live on Southern Vancouver Island so have access to lots of great trails.

My research is pointing me toward HT bikes. I tend to buy used so that I知 not taking the depreciation hit.
    I知 trying to keep this sub $500.

In my sights are:

Kona Blast $400: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4735057654498/

2016 Trek Marlin 5 $330 (seller told me he壇 take $250) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4957933288433/

Kona Fire Mountain $550 https://victoria.craigslist.ca/bik/6671201509.html

Brodie Brute $325 BRODIE BRUTE - 20th Anniversary Special Edition -18 inch Saanich, Victoria

Brodie Bruzza $199 BRODIE BRUZZA Saanich, Victoria

I welcome your perspectives.
    Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidR8; 08-20-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Co Springs
    Do your homework on sizing.... fit is really important and my Kona from a long time ago was tight and small feeling but their geo has likely changed in the past 15 years too. Those two Kona bikes were (at the time of my purchase) pretty entry level. The other bikes might be better equipped and forks. The trek looks nice and might be the winner of the three I mention but I know zero about that other bike brand.

Good luck. I'd be surprised either Kona was sold as new at sale price for a big ticket price and you can look up bikes on bluebook values or bikepedia to see specs and orig MSRP. If you have some time to search them up, you may get an inkling of idea by bike reviews for some of those to see what the reviewers said about them or their value at the time. Out of those choices, you may see some pop up as a highlighted bike in a buyers guide that featured the better deals for the bucks spent.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Avoid the 26 inch wheels. While they used to be great, they have now been replaced with 27.5 and 29ers.

You can also try Pinkbike as a source of used bikes, and the audience/seller tends to be a bit more savvy. Some of those listings on FB are cringey: owners apparently can't pump up tires, or lube chains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Some of those listings on FB are cringey: owners apparently can't pump up tires, or lube chains.
    This. If you buy a bike that's been poorly maintained, you will be sorry in the long run (and poorer). You can get a lot of bike for the money in 26, just not the latest stuff because no one is developing new stuff for them. That doesn't mean you won't have fun on it. My son conscripted my old 26 and that's all he rides. He shreds and leaves me in the dust.

If you are looking to just rekindle the fun of riding a bike, I would suggest you at least try a fat bike. It's a totally unique ride experience and you can go anywhere. They aren't for everyone, but a lot of people ride them and never go back (including me).

mtbr member
    Thanks all!
    I also found a 2016 Trek X-Caliber for $500
    http://www.usedvictoria.com/classifi..._32120102.lite

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If it fits and you can negotiate a lower price, I'd get the X-Cal but the frame sizes of these bikes are all over the place..

mtbr member
    Thanks,
    If it makes any difference these are Canadian prices which tend to be a bit higher (as far as I can tell)

since 4/10/2009
    Coming to mtb from road, I would expect you'd at least understand the importance of fit.

Figure that out first. If your road bike fits great (especially if you've had it professionally fitted), then use that as a starting point to work on figuring out your mtb fit.

Once you know what size you need, or at least narrow it down to choosing between 2 sizes, then go start looking at bikes. At the price point you're looking at, condition is going to be the 2nd most important factor. You might find something with "awesome" components, but it'll be 10+yrs old, with dated standards, some of which will make parts a LOT harder to repair/replace when they do get worn out or broken. The older it is and the more worn it looks, the larger a question mark the service record will be. This is especially true for suspension components, where there's less external indication of how hard it's been used (or abused) and how frequently (or not) it's been serviced.

mtbr member
    Thanks @Harold,
    I知 mulling over selling my road bike so that I have more funds for this venture.

Definitely hear you on fit as I did get a fitting for my Brodie and it makes a difference.

Also hear you on age and condition.
    I知 skilled with wrenches so repairs, maintenance and upgrades are only the cost of parts.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Step up to a $700-$900 Hard tail, buy new, (Modern Geo Is simply better) I say buy new because of your cycling experience. I would assume you will not give up after a few rides.

If you have lots of hard climbing go 2x11, If not 1 x 11 or 12
    Hydro brakes, Any Fox or Rockshox fork, Try flat pedals, like the Race Face Chesters, the freedom is great, your not racing so getting unclipped Is worth the effort.

A must have is a dropper seat post for any real trail riding, they are very useful even on flat fire roads and jeep trails btw.
    If nothing else consider the dropper a critical safety device just like your helmet.
    You will understand when you learn how to use one.
    The secret to the dropper seat post is not knowing when to lower your saddle but when to raise it......
    Clipping back in now and then will make you a better pedaler overall :P

Next thing, set up tubeless and ride.
    的 seek only the Flow,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perhaps utterly befuddled --versus bewildered--is a better starting point.

mtbr member
    Perhaps yes.
    I was/am struggling with the terms and acronyms but am getting sorted out now.

mtbr member
    Stopped by the Giant store over lunch today and looked at the Talon lineup.
    I was mighty impressed by the Talon 3 @ $699 all in.
    Likewise the Talon 2 @ $899 all in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I bought a Kona Lana'i hardtail new for $500.00 new from a local bike shop. I went with a complete entry level on but made sure to get the right fitment. I am only getting back into the sport and did not want to drop a ton of money just yet. I haven't had an issue on the trail. I ride through mud or take small jumps no issues.

They just posted the 2019 models on the website but the 2018's, which I have still posted. You might also be able to get a deal at a bike shop on a 2018.

mtbr member

Utterly bewildered

That痴 almost my situation except that I知 entering the sport new.

There痴 a used Lana段 locally but it痴 too small.

I知 actually stunned by mtb prices.

I also ride motocross (well getting out of it actually)

I can buy a decent, circa 2005 bike for a few grand. A brand new one for $7300.
    A new top of the line Trek DH bike is an eye-watering $11K!

Bikesexual
    Luckily, there are great bikes at almost any price point.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Luckily, there are great bikes at almost any price point.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    Yup!

mtbr member

Utterly bewildered

This popped up in my used alerts today.
    Assuming it痴 an appropriate size, it seems a good start with future potential?
    http://r.used.ca/classified-ad/32200474
    Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
    This popped up in my used alerts today.
    Assuming it痴 an appropriate size, it seems a good start with future potential?
    http://r.used.ca/classified-ad/32200474
    Thoughts?

Fairly limited potential as it's a 26er. Offer 200 (yes I'm thinking CAD).

One of the first upgrades you might consider would be an air fork. A straight-steerer-tube 26 fork might be easy to come by in a bargain bin, or may be impossible. I understand tires are getting hard to come by. You could do hydraulic brakes pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Fairly limited potential as it's a 26er. Offer 200 (yes I'm thinking CAD).

One of the first upgrades you might consider would be an air fork. A straight-steerer-tube 26 fork might be easy to come by in a bargain bin, or may be impossible. I understand tires are getting hard to come by. You could do hydraulic brakes pretty easily.
    Seems there are still options available for a straight-steerer air fork.
    https://www.manitoumtb.com/products/forks/markhor/

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

True, true. That's kind of a new thing, and maybe a brilliant move by Manitou.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

I bought one of these to convert an older frame to 27.5. The Markhor is one of the more plush forks that I've ridden. I like it alot and the price was VERY reasonable.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

mtbr member
    In my quest for bike I keep trolling Used.ca and Craigslist.
    I've sent seven emails to sellers and received responses from two of them.
    And the bikes are still for sale. At least I know I haven't missed them. Maybe. :-/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I bought one of these to convert an older frame to 27.5. The Markhor is one of the more plush forks that I've ridden. I like it alot and the price was VERY reasonable.
    I知 thinking hard about picking up a decent used 26er with a rigid fork and doing a fork swap.

mtbr member
    Alrighty
    I did some thinking and decided to resurrect my old 2000 Specialized Expedition.

I know, it痴 a crossover and not a pure MTB but I already own it and it痴 in good condition.

Rigid fork which will almost certainly remain.

V-brakes work awesome after I cleaned the Zac 19 rims.

I spooned on a pair of Continental Cross King tires and went for a spin around the block. It was great.

mtbr member

Utterly bewildered

I scooped up a 2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 10 in good condition for $250. Rims are true, tires are decent, frame is solid with no cracks, suspension (Rockshox Revelation fork, Ario 2.1rear) is in good condition except for a few scratches on the fork lowers.

Edit: RM checked the serial number and it's a 2010 not a 2011.

Last edited by DavidR8; 1 Week Ago at 09:38 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    I scooped up a 2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 10 in good condition for $250. Rims are true, tires are decent, frame is solid with no cracks, suspension (Rockshox Revelation fork, Ario 2.1rear) is in good condition except for a few scratches on the fork lowers.

pics or it didn't happen. :-D

sounds like a great deal.

mtbr member
    A quick shot.

Needs new pedals, grips and shifter cables.

jcd's best friend
    That's a nice find! I recommend ODI Rogue grips and Race Face Chester pedals. Both are low priced and work great.

How do the cassette and chainrings look?
    Trek ノmonda SL6 | Giant Fathom 29 |
    Octane One Prone 29

mtbr member

Utterly bewildered

Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    That's a nice find! I recommend ODI Rogue grips and Race Face Chester pedals. Both are low priced and work great.

How do the cassette and chainrings look?
    Thanks! I知 pretty stoked as I was looking at lower end hardtails (Marlin 5, etc) for the same cash.

I know it痴 a 26er but everything else I looked at would need serious upgrades to get to same level as this bike.

I知 replacing the crankset as the non-drive side pedal threads were stripped. New and cassette chain also just to complete the drivetrain.

Likely going with the Chester pedals.

mtbr member

Utterly bewildered

Hurray!
    My crankset has arrived!
    (It痴 the small things in life that bring joy)

mtbr member
    I have had two many bad experiences with this: what length bottom bracket is in the frame, and what size BB spindle is needed to make the new crankset chainline work correctly? (assuming you're replacing the 3X cranks with another 3X crankset.) Yu need to get that right or you're going to cause yourself a lot of headache.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have had two many bad experiences with this: what length bottom bracket is in the frame, and what size BB spindle is needed to make the new crankset chainline work correctly? (assuming you're replacing the 3X cranks with another 3X crankset.) Yu need to get that right or you're going to cause yourself a lot of headache.
    I should be ok as I致e done a direct replacement with the crank it came with.