1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Used or New?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Used Santa Cruz Superlight FS $499

1 100.00%
  • New Fezzari Alta Peak FS custom fit $1949

0 0%
    mtbr member

Used Santa Cruz Superlight or New FS Fezzari?

Hello all. New here & need some guidance. I am weighing out buying a used 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight FS vs possibly a new Fezzari Alta Peak. A little background…
    Wife: 2000 Santa Cruz Julianna FS (nice light bike) 26er, fox shocks front & rear
    level: beginner
    Me: Kona Hahanna Hardtail (entry level hard tail back in 1999)
    level: between beginner & intermediate (just getting back into it after 10 yrs)
    I am interested in the benefits of new i.e. 27.5 or 29" wheels, better components etc but in a way would feel like I'd be cheating if I got a much better bike than her Julianna, which is a fantastic bike but has 26" wheels. I am already a much stronger rider than her & feel that by having a newer bike, that I'd be leaving her in the dust more often than I already do.
    The Fezarri 27.5 can be had for around $1999 & the Santa Cruz 26er is selling at a local bike shop for $499 & has a Fox adjustable fork with lockout & rockshox air shock with lockout as well. It doesn't seem any lighter than my old Kona but didn't have them side by side to compare.
    I DO like the idea of the Fezarri Alta Peak because it has RockShox Sector fork 140mm travel & RockShox rear shock Monarch RL.
    Would I be cutting myself short with the used Santa Cruz or could I get away with riding it for a few years & be happy with it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nothing wrong with 26" wheels.A new bike isn't going to turn you into superman. 2000 is old in bike years ,but those superlights are tough,that price almost sounds too good to be true.Some older parts are getting hard to come by,how soon you it need something replaced or serviced?140mm travel is a lot for most trails ,I had a 150 bike ,went back to a 130.What do you not like about the Kona?

mtbr member
    Hello Ranger! That you for the info! Ya, the superlight has rockshox Tora forks up front & fox float in the back. The front fork locks & is adjustable. The rear doesn't lock. It has way more travel than my Kona. My Kona hardly has any travel at all. It's very basic. I think you could get something from Walmart these days close to it. I haven't seen any Santa Cruz on craigslist at this low of a price. It has Mavvic wheels, shimano deore & tx components & disc brakes. It doesn't seem light at all. Kind if heavy actually. I spoke with my local bike shop & was advised of all the pros & cons to mail-ordering a bike. I guess what I am looking for is something close to the quality of that of my wife's Santa Cruz Julianna. Best regards!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You are not going to get a bike equal to the Kona from Walmart. Why not talk to the guys at the shop about what they have? The 2015 models will be showing up soon ,maybe they will make you a deal on a 2014. Check to see if there are any demo days coming up.Test ride ,borrow bikes.

mtbr member
    Hello. I was just trying to point out that the fork on my Kona is kind of sad. What's funny is, when I first got it in CA, I rode it a lot & never complained but the trails where I live now in TX are very technical. Lots of rocks.
    Speaking of the local bike shop, how about the Specialized Comp 29? It retails for $2600 but they have it in sale for $1999. This is a large family owned bike shop in Austin Tx that has a good reputation & a no questions asked 7 day return policy. Here's the link Specialized Bicycle Components
    It's got a really nice set of components. Rockshox Gold forks & Rockshox Monarch RL w/autosag, hydrolic disk brakes, SRAM X5. This is the best bike I've found for the money where the rear shock locks. Was considering the Kona Precept DL but no rear lockout or the Giant Anthem but again, lower end rear shock. Thank you for your input!