1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Used MTB Under 500? Fuji/Gary Fisher/Specialized

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a used XC bike and was hoping for a little guidance. Ive been riding on and off most of my life and am hoping to take my riding up a level. Living in Vermont, theres a bunch of awesome terrain to rip, at this point i'm just looking for the right stead to do it on.

Things id like to have are disk brakes, some decent front suspension, 29in wheels (if possible), and all under $500. Here is what i've come up with so far.

Fuji Nevada 2.0

2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0 For Sale

Gary Fisher Mt Tam (a friend offered it to me. I havent actually seen the bike he said it was about 10 years old and had the XT components)

Gary Fisher 2001 Mt. Tam Hardtail Bike Reviews - Mtbr.com

Specialized Stumpjumper Single Speed (I am intrigued by single speeds, but would like your input)

Specialized Stumpjumper Single Speed | eBay

Looking foreword to your opinions and thoughts!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The first thing is are they your size? How much for the Fisher? SS are cool ,as a only bike maybe not. The SS looks like it has been converted ,maybe ask if they have the parts.

mtbr member
    Go to a shop and see what they can dig up from 2012/2013 closeouts. There's stuff still out there, just depends on if you can get something your size. I just picked up a 2013 Cannondale closeout on Monday. Saved nearly 50% off retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanpowell175 View Post
    Hi,

Im looking to purchase a used XC bike and was hoping for a little guidance. Ive been riding on and off most of my life and am hoping to take my riding up a level. Living in Vermont, theres a bunch of awesome terrain to rip, at this point i'm just looking for the right stead to do it on.

Things id like to have are disk brakes, some decent front suspension, 29in wheels (if possible), and all under $500. Here is what i've come up with so far.

Fuji Nevada 2.0

2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0 For Sale

Gary Fisher Mt Tam (a friend offered it to me. I havent actually seen the bike he said it was about 10 years old and had the XT components)

Gary Fisher 2001 Mt. Tam Hardtail Bike Reviews - Mtbr.com

Specialized Stumpjumper Single Speed (I am intrigued by single speeds, but would like your input)

Specialized Stumpjumper Single Speed | eBay

Looking foreword to your opinions and thoughts!
    The Fuji Nevada 2.0 seems like a pretty good deal to me. It's a great bike for it's price range. See if you can ride it before buying though to make sure that it fits. That goes for every bike you decide to buy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys!

Im about 5'10" and growing (16 yrs old) so i'm assuming thats about 19" or 20" frame. The Fisher is going for $375.

mtbr member
    I think I would keep looking and be patient. You can find good deals if you are patient. Check pinkbike, craigslist, ebay, often.