1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Used Bike Value

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Used Bike Value

How useful are these sites: thecheapbikeshop.com and bicyclebluebook.com? Trying to get into the sport, but I really want to get a used bike (more bang for the buck). Any help would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysfan1254 View Post
    How useful are these sites: thecheapbikeshop.com and bicyclebluebook.com? Trying to get into the sport, but I really want to get a used bike (more bang for the buck). Any help would be much appreciated.
    I think bicyclebluebook.com is pretty good but it doesn't take into account condition.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    BicycleBlueBook.com is interesting and definitely a helpful starting point, but there definitely isn't enough data for you to use it alone. I'd take what it says and keep it in mind- try to see if it matches up with what other sellers seem to be asking for that bike.

Used bike values are much less black and white than car values- with alot more variance between individual transactions of the same condition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muffetmd View Post
    I think bicyclebluebook.com is pretty good but it doesn't take into account condition.
    it is hard to estimate the value without careful check by professionals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    search ebay completed listing. It's not a value estimate like kbb, it gives actual price bikes sell for.

If kbb for bike is similar to car industry, kbb cars in cahoots with car manufacturer's and inflate used car prices.

mtbr member
    I don't think that works very well for bikes. For the most part, take 1/2 of the bike's original value and start there.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not a bad starting point. I would say you should also look online for current listings and completed sales, if possible. The value of any item is ultimately worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If you see what others are willing to reasonably offer/give, you'll get an idea of what the bike is worth.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it really depends on your region, and what's being sold. the more bikes being sold, the lower the average price will be. it also depends on the seller. a lot of people think their crap is worth a lot more than it really is. other people have no idea what they're selling, because their kids bike is in parts in a box in their garage and he's away at school, so you score that for 75 bucks, feel bad for him for about a week, and then use the parts to build your most awesome bike haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ebay search completed gives you a national list, not just regional. You can see what bikes sold and for how much, and what bikes have not sold. Auction style listings are recommended as they are usually better deals.