1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Used Bike Help

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Used Bike Help

Looking to buy my first bike and just wanted some input on a used bike I found. I have done some research on bikes and checked out local shops and just like everyone else I am trying to find a nice bike for not to much money. It won't be used on real rough trails and not many hills, just on some smooth trails for the most part.
    Gary Fisher Wahoo mountain bike

The local bike shop suggested a 18 inch frame but I think this 19 will be fine. There is not much detail on here to go by but I figured if anyone could tell about it you guys could. Just wondering if this is a decent price, it does not look real new but it looks like it has been taken care of pretty well.

I have been looking at some Trek bikes at a local shop like a Trek 820 for 369 and the 3500 for 439 so I am not sure if I should go that way or grab this one for maybe a little less than 300. Any help would be appreciated.

Keep on Rockin...
    Unless you know what to look out for in a used bike I would avoid it. Time is money and you might spend a lot of it to save very little cash on such a low end ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's a pretty old bike for that price; I'd figure it should be selling for maybe half that.

Looks like you should be able to pick up last years model for close to the same

2012 Trek Wahoo Disc 29 (Gary Fisher Collection) - New and Used Bike Value
    Sinister Bikes
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Fat-tired Roadie
    IME, 17" and 18" are pretty similar and 19" and 20" are pretty similar.

I think the price on that bike is too high. No suspension, no disc brakes. It's gotta be mid-'90s.

Since this is your first bike, I think a shop can really help. You've already figured out your price point's not great for retail. So here's my suggestion: call the shops in your area and find out who does used. Go there, ride a bunch of bikes, and buy your favorite. Riding a lot of different bikes should give you a better shot at getting the right size and getting something with a handling attitude that works for you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    That bike would be hard to upgrade later on. No disc brakes, probably an 8spd freewheel, etc. You don't need a $3,000 bike to start with, but a decent bike will make for a much more enjoyable experience. I'd keep looking or keep saving. It's never cheaper to upgrade than at the time of purchase. EVERYBODY that I know that has started, wishes they would have spent more at the start. I'm not a bike snob, I've just been where you are at and have spend more in the long run. Get something that 1) fits your riding style and fits you physically 2) that's dependable and upgradable 3) comes with a warranty and advise 4) will provide years of enjoyment. If a nicer bike is truly out of your budget, I'd find a riding group on facebook, through friends, LBS, etc and ask to tag along and borrow a bike. If that's a yes, bring your on helmet, camelbak, etc. Most guys I know, including myself, will put you on a nice bike to ride with the group. That would give you some time and experience. Without experience or a knowledgable friend, it's hard to buy a used bike. Especially true as the bike gets older in age.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Having recently purchased a couple used bikes, I definitely wouldn't go for that one. I bought a 2002 Trek 820 for $100; needed a bit of tuning, but I got it working perfectly for another $50 in parts and tools. I then found someone selling a 2005 Giant Rincon (in a size more appropriate for me) for $80. That one took a little more work, but was still up and running for less than $200 total.

There are deals out there, but that Wahoo isn't one of them. Don't be in a hurry, and keep an eye on craigslist, and you'll stumble on something eventually. However, you should assume that for any used bike you pick up you'll need to spend some extra money replacing key items, like a new chain, tires, cables/housings, and maybe a seat and stem to customize the bike to your comfort.

Also, don't buy a bike for <$300 and plan on upgrading it in the future, especially if those upgrades include disc brakes or a new fork. It simply isn't cost effective. You might get a good deal on a set of used shifters if you want to upgrade those, but buying a new wheel set to accommodate disc brakes (plus the cost of the brakes themselves), or spending $250 on a fork will get you pretty close to buying a brand new bike from a LBS that already comes with everything you want, and will probably have better frame geometry to boot. This is the point I'm at with the Giant I picked up. I'm going to run it into the ground until I save up some money to pick up something newer with discs, a decent fork, and a better drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    that Wahoo is a 99 or 2001 model. I paid $80 for a 1997 wahoo in good shape. I changed a few parts on it and it is a great adventure bike. If you pay more than $100, if it is ready to ride, that is too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Find bike friends and ask questions. No such thing as a stupid question, but you should expect a couple stupid responses (maybe the elusive flying waffle .gif) Used good bikes can be tricky unless you know what you're doing. Going to an LBS will be more expensive, but the customer service is sometimes worth it. As referenced to above, get a bike with disc brakes and at least an 8-speed rear hub (cassette style). This will allow most upgrades you would want to make before buying a different bike.

If you're willing to go the online bike route (mechanically capable of assembling the bike yourself), willing to buy some beer for other local riders to help assemble, or have an LBS that will assemble online purchased bikes (about $30-50, although some LBS refuse), Nashbar.com has 25% off a single item, including bikes. Shipping is about $35. Here'are two decent intro bikes (a 26" and a 29") with decent parts for the price. Both are available in large. They are upgradable where it counts (disc brakes, 1 1/8" fork, 3x8 drivetrain)

GT Avalanche 4.0 26" Mountain Bike - Hard Tail
    GT Karakoram 4.0 Mountain Bike - Hard Tail

mtbr member
    $100-$150 bike MAX!
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    quick search of the memphis CL site:
    Men's Mountain Bike
    Raleigh Mountain Bike
    GT Saddleback
    Diamondback Mountain Bike
    Northrock Mountianbike w/Extras

The missing skewer on the Raleigh is an easy find and less than a couple bucks.

mtbr member
    ^ that northrock would be worth looking at. It would at least get you riding. I remember seeing those at costco.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    for a newer bike that could get upgraded, the Northrock would be my choice. After that, the iron horse, then the raleigh. The other's would be OK, if you could talk the owner's down to $125.