mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Used Bike Buying Advice

Just getting into the sport and looking to upgrade my Walmart Special to something a little more serious. Starting used and and will probably upgrade to new in a few years.

Been searching on CraigsList and found these two so far:
    1999 Trek 6000 for $180 and a 2007 Trek Fuel 6 for $250. Haven't seen either in person so not sure of the conditions.

They would be used for riding around the neighboorhood on the weekdays and hitting trails on the weekends. Hoping to get something that will work good while I start out and last for a while the more serious I get.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Nysus; 09-07-2014 at 05:09 PM.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Me personally? Fuel 6 over that 6000. The difference in years, and not that much in price is what leads me to choose. The 6 will have far more options for upgrade parts if you so choose to do so. Just the disc brakes alone make it worth it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    For sure the Fuel 6... Good starter bike.
    Expect to tune it yourself or take it in. Might need shock rebuild or rebuilds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks guys! What about a 2003 or 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 600 ? Trying to talk them down to the $250 range of the Fuel 6.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Fuel still... even if it extends your budget. 5 years in technology difference, maybe 5 years less wear and tear. Easier to find parts etc...

I'd rather be on my bike
    Agree with Boondock. If you can seriously get the Fuel for $250, you need to pick that up.

mtbr member
    What size is that Fuel 6? How tall are you? Fit is the most important factor. If the bike is the wrong size, it's going to be miserable.

Also include in your budget the possibility that a full suspension bike like that might need a lot of work. If the owner rode it a lot and didn't maintain it, that bike could need a new-
    Chain, cassette, and chainrings
    Brake pads and a bleed
    Suspension service
    Frame pivot bearing replacement parts
    Grips, tires, etc

Call your local Trek dealer and ask them if they can still get replacement frame parts for that frame from Trek. Then have them make a thorough inspection of the bike and tell you what it needs. Also carefully check the frame for cracks and the suspension parts for bad scratches.

Even if the Fuel needs $500 in new parts and labor, that is still a good deal.

The 6000 might also be a good choice because the frame will not require the attention that a FS bike does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So I went to check out the Fuel 6 and it seemed to be in rough shape. Rode it switching gears and the chain fell off twice. Admittedly, that could have been my fault - I was just kinda clicking the gears, seems shotty though. Took some pics, please tell me what you think.

Also a $140 1997 Specialized Ground Control and a $150 2009 Trek 4300 just went on Craiglist, so more options.

Edit: Looks like the Trek 6000 sold.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    No now on the Trek 6
    Rough ass shape

What area are you in (others can check your local CL for ya)? Like others have said, whats your height?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nysus View Post
    So I went to check out the Fuel 6 and it seemed to be in rough shape. Rode it switching gears and the chain fell off twice. Admittedly, that could have been my fault - I was just kinda clicking the gears, seems shotty though. Took some pics, please tell me what you think.

Also a $140 1997 Specialized Ground Control and a $150 2009 Trek 4300 just went on Craiglist, so more options.

Edit: Looks like the Trek 6000 sold.

Thanks!
    Ah, the fuel looks like it was used hard. Also there are two through bolts, (left chain stay and seat down tube), which definitely are not factory installed and may have compromised the frame integrity. I would be very concerned about the one in the chain stay. I say take a pass.

Earl

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah those bolts looked weird, very out of place. Ah well, was hoping it would work out.

I have a pretty good handle on the size I need. I'm 5/10 with a ~31 inseam so I've been looking for a 17 or 18.

What I really don't know is the value of one type of bike vs another, how well it will hold up, etc.

Thanks for the help all, appreciate it!

Edit: In Jacksonville, FL. Thinking of upping my budget to ~$400 to have more options. The 2009 Trek 4300 for $150's looking like a good option though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Offer $350-375 if he still has it?
    motobcane softail. 30" NEED GONE TODAY

Low end but a good base... Says offers
    27.5 Gravity MTB (OBO)

That area seems to love bike direct lol

I'd rather be on my bike
    That Gravity looks extremely small. The Moto is a hardtail not a softail like the seller is advertising. I would check that one carefully as he said he hurt his shoulder the first time out. Did he wreck it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Motob is a much better bike than the others. Don't know if four buys it. Compare the size to bd's recommended chart.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29COMP

The reason you see many bd bikes on cl is because a store in j'ville sells them - Cycle Spectrum?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This is my list so far.
    Leaning towards the Trek 4300. Goal would be to get the $400+ ones down.

2000 Cannondale F7000 ($400)
    1997 Specialized Ground Control ($140)
    2009 Trek 4300 ($150)
    2007 Specialized XC ($600)
    2004 Cannondale Jekyll 600-Med ($350)
    2002 Cannondal Scapel 800-Med ($575)
    Salsa Ala Carte ($495)

I can't find the Motobecane on Bikipedia or Bluebook. Is there a reason for that you think?

I'd rather be on my bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks Tenspeed. Those all look like great bikes but not sure I can get them down to my price range.

I spoke with the 2004 Jekyll 600 guy and they he go $300 so I'm leaning that way now sight unseen. The question is, is it worth twice as much as the 2009 Trek 4300 for $150?

Also spoke with the Specialized XC guy and it sounds like he'll work on price but I doubt he'd cut $200 off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Went after work today and snagged the 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 600 for $300. It is a little older but it seemed to be in great shape. Check out some pics and let me know what you think!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Good looking bike. Looks like it's ready for a good trail.

JF_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    IMO, I would buy a new HT @ your LBS. Get last yrs model, something cheap in the $600. To $700. price range. By the time you fix a used bike, you'll have more $ into it than the price of a new bike. Ride the hell out of it, and don't do any upgrades to it. If you think you'll stick to mtb'N then save up for a real bike If not you can sell your bike and get most your money back. Good luck!