1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Used Amp B5 worth it?

I am considering purchasing a used Amp B5 with good light components. Does anyone have any input on this idea vs a new beginner bike. I included a link below to the same bike setup. Thanks.

http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ting.asp?id=71

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    For a minute I thought you were talking about this...

Ampeg B5r

Picture Unrelated
    The only way I would buy a B5 is if I were trying to decorate my bar. A completely bad ass bike in its day, and really not a good buy today except as a collector's item. Spend your pennies on a good quality hardtail and you won't regret it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

SPQR
    Quote Originally Posted by jm8254og
    I am considering purchasing a used Amp B5 with good light components. Does anyone have any input on this idea vs a new beginner bike. I included a link below to the same bike setup. Thanks.

http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ting.asp?id=71
    no, beginner bike? how much you want to spend? I would be very careful buying any bike used and if funds are limited you might consider a hardtail with at least avid mech disc brakes?

I Have Cookies
    looks flexy

Good luck getting any service parts for those shocks......
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I know the guy really well. The bike is in pretty good shape and rides much better than my current bike, a Diamondback Edgewood. I like because it is light and has the clipless pedals and he threw in some shoes. He is asking 500 but that is most likely negotiable. So you guys think I can get a better deal on a hardtail? I don't know what they ride like, never road one. The local shops here are in the 550 range on a Fisher Advanced D or Specialty with Disc. Then of course there is bikesdirect.

The Amp does have newer components (well there not 10yrs old) on it and like I said rides well but I don't have a solid frame of reference. Any input is appreciated. Thank you for the post already,

SPQR
    http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_500_10.htm =$ 549.00 or the alite 1000 for about $800.00, khs has the most bang for the buck, dude that amp is...I am trying to hold my tongue...please do not buy that bike, at any price.I cannot help it.....that bike would peg your dork meter.....
    Last edited by oscarperez; 04-14-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by jm8254og
    Well, I know the guy really well. The bike is in pretty good shape and rides much better than my current bike, a Diamondback Edgewood. I like because it is light and has the clipless pedals and he threw in some shoes. He is asking 500 but that is most likely negotiable. So you guys think I can get a better deal on a hardtail? I don't know what they ride like, never road one. The local shops here are in the 550 range on a Fisher Advanced D or Specialty with Disc. Then of course there is bikesdirect.

The Amp does have newer components (well there not 10yrs old) on it and like I said rides well but I don't have a solid frame of reference. Any input is appreciated. Thank you for the post already,
    Don't buy that bike, it's a shitshow compared to any modern bike. You will have a much better time with a bike from this century. You can do much better with $500, new or used. I'd get a hardtail because you'll get the most for your dollar. Do not buy a full suspension bike that's under a grand msrp.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I took the bike out on the trail on Friday. It did really well and I enjoyed it. I broke a spoke and took it to out local bike shop to get it repaired. After testing a Specialized Hardrock Disc I decided I like it better. I feel more confident on that kind of bike. I still think the B5 did well but I feel like a new hardtail in my budget would be better for me. Thank you for all your advice.