1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Smile Urgent First bike help to choose between few bikes!

Hi im new to the forums everyone! Im sure these types of posts are not new to you guys! So i habe a few bikes im looking at all these fit my price range but im not sure if they are good bikes or not due to some components. Anyways all i need is info on which bike is the best for the money. Or a better bike for the 700 and below price. Also i forgot to say I am from Canada so i am not sure some brands may not be here. I do ride pretty aggresivly so i dont want a bike with components that are really garbage for what im paying anyways i will leave the link for each bike along with its name and i guess if you could reply on what you think is best based on components as i have already sat on them all and felt them so i know I like the Devinci the best. I just want to know which is best to which is worst. My favourite so far is Devinci jack xp due to it beong made in Canada. And im geting it for 620$ onstead of 700$ because a shops offered 10% off since they were having a minisale i got them to include the jack xp. Either way these are the ones i like but if you know others list them. Id prefer to stay with these unless there is something that is a lot better and below 700$.

Links to all bikes below

devinci Jack XP 29er:
    DEVINCI

Giant Talon 27.5 5.4:
    Talon 27.5 4 (2014) | Giant Bicycles | Canada

Giant revel 1 29er 1:
    Revel 29er 1 (2013) | Giant Bicycles | United States

Norco Storm 7.1:
    Storm Cross Country Mountain Bikes Norco Bicycles

Thanks for all the Help!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 'X' series forks are garbage for aggressive trail riding. A greased spring with plastic bushings and no adjustable rebound. Pogo sticks when hitting multiple bumps on faster downhills. These were designed by Suntour for bike paths only.
    Unfortunately they look good only and seem to be on all the bikes in this price range. $200 upgrade gets you a Raidon air fork from Nick at Suntour. Or keep looking for something with a Rockshox XC or Recon.
    Here is a bike that ships to the US if you can work anything out or to Canada for $154, but taxes.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    I have no connection with this listing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The 'X' series forks are garbage for aggressive trail riding. A greased spring with plastic bushings and no adjustable rebound. Pogo sticks when hitting multiple bumps on faster downhills. These were designed by Suntour for bike paths only.
    Unfortunately they look good only and seem to be on all the bikes in this price range. $200 upgrade gets you a Raidon air fork from Nick at Suntour. Or keep looking for something with a Rockshox XC or Recon.
    Here is a bike that ships to the US if you can work anything out or to Canada for $154, but taxes.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    I have no connection with this listing.

It does look like a nice bike but sadly im stuck with these bike choices. Also I do know these forks are not the best but thats what is available at this price and they are XC bikes. I will be riding them so when they brake i will upgrade but for the moment if you could direct me to which is good cause i like the devinci Jack XP.

I'd rather be on my bike
    If that is what you like, then you should get that one. They are all pretty comparable, so it comes down to what it is that you want.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    If that is what you like, then you should get that one. They are all pretty comparable, so it comes down to what it is that you want.
    Well i guess since they are all technically equal ill go with the devinci. Thanks for the help and ill be sure to upgrade the fork a.s.a.p or when it brakes. But again thanks. And its a real nice community here. Glad i joined!