1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21

    Urban hard tail question

    I have searched numerous times but I could only come up with one recommended buy for a general urban/light trials hard tail bike (Giant STP). I want to add a hard tail to my stable here so I can have something to ride around my suburb/city and leave my Niota for the trails. Do you all consider the STP to be a good choice? My only options brand wise are Felt, Giant, and Santa Cruz (I have a CC with the LBS and those are the brands they carry). Any ideas out of those brands for a bike that fits that bill? If this question has been covered I'm ok with a link. Thanks

    Edit: I read the FAQ's regarding SS bikes and I am interested in turning whatever hardtail I choose into a SS unless I can find one which can be ordered that way. I'm not mechanically inclined, so it would be sweet to order one already built as a single speed.
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  2. #2
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,900
    I think you'll find better advice on "urban/light trials" bikes at the Urban/DJ/Park section.

  3. #3
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I think you'll find better advice on "urban/light trials" bikes at the Urban/DJ/Park section.
    Thanks
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  4. #4
    General Rabble-Rouser
    Reputation: Karupshun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,007
    the Giant STP is a nice bike, but for some reason the geared bikes all suffer from a chainline issue

    Whenever you backpedal, the chain jumps down on the sproket. It's a small problem on what is a great bike, but it really irritates some people

  5. #5
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    the Giant STP is a nice bike, but for some reason the geared bikes all suffer from a chainline issue

    Whenever you backpedal, the chain jumps down on the sproket. It's a small problem on what is a great bike, but it really irritates some people
    Thanks for the heads up there. I am going to order their SS version so I don't have to worry about converting.
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  6. #6
    General Rabble-Rouser
    Reputation: Karupshun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by ifics
    Thanks for the heads up there. I am going to order their SS version so I don't have to worry about converting.

    Their SS setup it very nice. My friend had last years STP and just went to SS on it. He'll never go back.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664
    Giant STP is good for everything, slap on some holy rollers and you'll be good to go...

  8. #8
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr11
    Giant STP is good for everything, slap on some holy rollers and you'll be good to go...
    You will have to forgive me here.... but what are holy rollers?
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  9. #9
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,900

  10. #10
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Thanks
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  11. #11
    dh1
    dh1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    436
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I think you'll find better advice on "urban/light trials" bikes at the Urban/DJ/Park section.
    When he says "urban" I don't think he means hucking off stairs, jumping picnic tables, and jumping concrete gaps. That is what you would find in the Urban/DJ/Park area.

    I could be wrong, but I think he means riding around on a mix of pavement and dirt paths...like I do with my 5-10 year old kids in tow. So, perhaps "suburban"?

    There are a lot of options. Cannondale makes the BadBoy for just this purpose, but you don't really need a purpose built hardtail. Any rigid or hardtail MTB with a pair of semi-slick tires will do the trick. Every major tire manufacturer makes this type of urban or enduro tire, so pick your favorite. I set up a bike just like this for my wife using an old Cannondale 3.0 mountain frame and fork set.

    Also, It doesn't matter so much who the manufacturer of the bike is, as much as the fit to you personally and has the components that you want for that purpose.

    There is also the whole "cyclocross" deal. 1/2 roadie, 1/2 MTB. Not durable enough for all mountain, but ok for cross country. Typically with a 29inch or 700c wheel, rather than 26"

    FWIW, I would order a geared version....but that is just me. It is easy to convert a geared bike to SS and back, but lots of factory SS bikes have no cable stops, so even if you wanted to run gears you would have some challenges.

    Cheers

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664
    ^^^^
    sorry, left that bit out.
    they have a roundish profile, def something diff from what you have on your litespeed....

  13. #13
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    When he says "urban" I don't think he means hucking off stairs, jumping picnic tables, and jumping concrete gaps. That is what you would find in the Urban/DJ/Park area.

    I could be wrong, but I think he means riding around on a mix of pavement and dirt paths...like I do with my 5-10 year old kids in tow. So, perhaps "suburban"?

    There are a lot of options. Cannondale makes the BadBoy for just this purpose, but you don't really need a purpose built hardtail. Any rigid or hardtail MTB with a pair of semi-slick tires will do the trick. Every major tire manufacturer makes this type of urban or enduro tire, so pick your favorite. I set up a bike just like this for my wife using an old Cannondale 3.0 mountain frame and fork set.

    Also, It doesn't matter so much who the manufacturer of the bike is, as much as the fit to you personally and has the components that you want for that purpose.

    There is also the whole "cyclocross" deal. 1/2 roadie, 1/2 MTB. Not durable enough for all mountain, but ok for cross country. Typically with a 29inch or 700c wheel, rather than 26"

    FWIW, I would order a geared version....but that is just me. It is easy to convert a geared bike to SS and back, but lots of factory SS bikes have no cable stops, so even if you wanted to run gears you would have some challenges.

    Cheers
    You sir, lack some reading skills. He said he wanted a street/ light TRIALS(yes, trials, not trails) bike in his first post, and a hybrid is definitely not the way to go.

  14. #14
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr11
    ^^^^
    sorry, left that bit out.
    they have a roundish profile, def something diff from what you have on your litespeed....
    Thanks again! I placed the order today for the STP single speed and had the LBS order some of the Holy Rollers too. Any recommendations on which pedals I should buy?
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  15. #15
    General Rabble-Rouser
    Reputation: Karupshun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by ifics
    Thanks again! I placed the order today for the STP single speed and had the LBS order some of the Holy Rollers too. Any recommendations on which pedals I should buy?

    You may want to cancel the order on the Holy Rollers, as the STP SS is spec'd with 2.4" HRs already

    as for pedals, can't go wrong with Wellgo B67s

    Try the stock ones out first to save a few bucks

  16. #16
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Karupshun
    You may want to cancel the order on the Holy Rollers, as the STP SS is spec'd with 2.4" HRs already

    as for pedals, can't go wrong with Wellgo B67s

    Try the stock ones out first to save a few bucks
    Damn! Thanks for the heads up! I read on giant's site, but I didn't see Holy Rollers listed. I must not have looked through all of the specs. Thanks again! Saved me 30 bucks
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  17. #17
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Keep the current pedals, see if you like them first, usually they aren't too bad. I wouldn't switch them out for the sake of switching.

  18. #18
    "I wanna go fast"
    Reputation: ifics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Keep the current pedals, see if you like them first, usually they aren't too bad. I wouldn't switch them out for the sake of switching.
    Sounds good to me. The bike should be in on Monday, so I'll post pics up when it arrives. Just a stock SS, but everyone likes a bit of bike pr0n.. lol
    For all of your photographic needs
    www.BlakeWJohnson.com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664
    ^^^^^^

    that's for sure, sorry didn't know that they came stock with HR tires, hope you managed to cancel it.

    pedals stock ones should be good enough for most of the stuff you plan to do(as per listed in the starting post), you might want to invest in a lock, if you do ride around town, you wouldn't want to leave it there looking all nice and sorted, just begging for someone to takeoff with it, while you're running errands, that's if you are.

    can't wait for pics...

  20. #20
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    11,900
    [QUOTE=zephyr11stock with HR tires, hope you managed to cancel it.[/QUOTE]A set of tyres will not last forever, when in use. So it would not be a total waste. On the other hand, I don't really want to keep stuff cluttering my space just because I might need it in a year or two, either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •