1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Upgrading from V to Disc brake

Question: I have an '02 Hardrock (see http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...+FS&Type=bike). Can I upgrade from V brakes to disc easily?

Will these work without an adapter? Don't know anything about this kind of upgrade, so any help is appreciated.
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...rake_160mm.htm

mtbr member
    I wouldn't do it.

It looks like your fork is compatible, but the frame lacks a mount. Your wheels are definitely not disc rotor compatible.

New wheels will be about $300, and there is a weird adapter kit for the rear for another $100. Plus the cost of the brakes, you have about $500 into a 8 year old bike.

Better to just buy a new HR for that money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You will have to look for a rear frame caliper mount, fork looks like it might have a mount. You will need a Disc wheel set also.

May 2009
    The frame appears to have tabs for the caliper but your wheels or at least the hubs will have to be changed to accept a rotor.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ok its a no go...thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    dont let the wheels put you off too much, since most new bikes are coming with disc now there are usually a fair amount of take offs around. I bought my last wheel set for $50