1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Upgrading a Trance X4 - have some questions

Hey all,

I am a noob in every sense of the word when it comes to building and upgrading bikes.

With that said, I've had my 2012 Trance x4 for 2 months and have decided to upgrade my fork. (I know now that I should have opted for an x3 or x2, but too late now.)

Anyway, as I understand it, the Trance X4 requires a tapered fork. Since I'm only doing incremental upgrades, I would like to keep my stock wheels. The problem is that all the Fox forks (Talas and Float) that I'm looking at only have tapered forks with 15mm axle. My stock front wheel is 9mm. Is there an adapter of some sort to enable my stock wheel to work with a 15mm QR?

Also, from the little research that I've done, it appears that the 9mm is the standard? So why are all the Fox forks (Talas and Float) that are tapered only come in 15mm QR options?

Thanks everyone!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by eeyon View Post
    Hey all,

I am a noob in every sense of the word when it comes to building and upgrading bikes.

With that said, I've had my 2012 Trance x4 for 2 months and have decided to upgrade my fork. (I know now that I should have opted for an x3 or x2, but too late now.)

Anyway, as I understand it, the Trance X4 requires a tapered fork. Since I'm only doing incremental upgrades, I would like to keep my stock wheels. The problem is that all the Fox forks (Talas and Float) that I'm looking at only have tapered forks with 15mm axle. My stock front wheel is 9mm. Is there an adapter of some sort to enable my stock wheel to work with a 15mm QR?

Also, from the little research that I've done, it appears that the 9mm is the standard? So why are all the Fox forks (Talas and Float) that are tapered only come in 15mm QR options?

Thanks everyone!
    Well first of all you don't need to get the tapered fork you can just get the standart 1 1/8 fork and get the headset adapter. The the question of hub adapter, some hub would allow for axle upgrade from 9qr to 15qr check with Giant may be you are in luck.

Then it's 9qr VS 15qr ok when you move up you won't be able to tell how much better, stiffer the new 15qr compare to the 9qr but when you go back from 15 to 9 you'd be able to tell the difference in the corner or over rough sections. The 15qr is generally stiffer than 9qr.

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    If your are going to upgrade the fork, you might want to consider switching to 15mm tru axle.. Also the standard 1-1/8 steerer forks with 9mm qr are still available. I'm sure fox still make that combination of fork in their 32 series line up.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by eeyon View Post

Thanks everyone!
    Someone much more talented than I once said "The times, they are a changin". The most common axle configuration for less expensive bikes is certainly 9mm QR but with the advent of larger forks, bigger disc brakes, and geometries to match the 9mm QR is thought to be a fading technology. As time goes on you'll see more thru axles on more bikes.

If I were going through the trouble of buying a new fork then I would buy one with a tapered headtube and a thru axle and then keep saving for a new wheel(s) to match. It would be like taking the snow tires off your Subaru and putting them on your new Porsche for the summer; why not make the best of what you have instead of cutting corners? Tapered steerer tubes and thru axles have gained popularity for a reason, I doubt you'll be disappointed if you give them a try.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Yeah, mixing and matching bike components is never easy, and the last few years have been worse than usual. That said, tapered forks really are better, and thru-axles really are better, and the 15mm standard looks like it's going to stick around for trail forks, so it's worth going all out if you've got the cash.

If you don't, then look at older models or used forks, there are plenty of 9mm QR 1 1/8'' steerer forks out there, and all you need is the headset race adapter to run them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The other issue you might come across is that Giant went to their OD 2 headset. It's a 1.25" to 1.5" taper steer tube instead of 1.125" to 1.5", the actual head tube is still 44mmOD. Which would mean you would have to get a different stem and maybe a new upper headset bearing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There is an adapter that mavic makes available at pricepoint.com. they're called plugs. Around $15
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    There is an adapter that mavic makes available at pricepoint.com. they're called plugs. Around $15
    Thanks man ... would have been a great idea but I think those only work for Mavic wheels from what I understand in the site

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks everyone ... I forgot about the Overdrive issue which I came across before in my research. I might just have to run this bike to the ground and buy a better bike when the time comes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    no overdrive you will just need to get a adapter for the race. I have a x4 too and was getting ready to upgrade, I figure just run the stock fork till it dies or if it craps out at 1 year. but just waiting to invest in new wheels first then use them with the adapters then wait until more forks come out or just buying a piece meal system

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trdspectacoma View Post
    no overdrive you will just need to get a adapter for the race. I have a x4 too and was getting ready to upgrade, I figure just run the stock fork till it dies or if it craps out at 1 year. but just waiting to invest in new wheels first then use them with the adapters then wait until more forks come out or just buying a piece meal system
    Ah thanks for pointing that out. The Trance x4 is only OverDrive not OverDrive 2. I really like the frame, so I don't mind upgrading the components -- I don't want to overextend my finances so the upgrades will have to be piece by piece if I decide to go that route, although I would love to just upgrade the whole thing in one fell swoop. I think the frame with the right components could still make for a trail-beast-of-a-machine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I would like to do the same as you but finances are always key. I think save money buy wheels, then save money then buy wheels for that matches, then save again and buy a back shock. so it does not hurt the wallet a lot. but it is hard to have something and not use it.