1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Upgrading Pedals

My Karakoram has regular platform pedals that suck. Upgrading Pedals is a priority for me right now... however I am a bit confused whether to go Clipless or higher performance platform. I live in GA and mainly ride general singletrack

Based on my research most XC /single track guys rock clipless pedals with the appropriate footwear.

Are Platform pedals mainly for freeride/all mtn/dh riding?

Would it be appropriate to mount a pair of Easton Flatboys on my karakoram for the type of riding I am doing? Or Do I need to go clipless?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Technique is actually useful for riding flats successfully. A short learning curve and then for your riding pedals will become much less important.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube
    Fewer and fewer riders use clips.
    Stubby or short rounded pin pedals and runners are all you need once you use the low heels technique.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Upgrading Pedals

Great video. I've been practicing this technique and at first it feels a little weird because I feel like I'm going to slip off and shred my shins... But once you start to trust tour pedals/shoes/form, it really works.
    I'm a big platform fan, but mainly because I feel like I don't have to take any special shoes with me to ride. I can ride almost anywhere at anytime with just about any piece of footwear.

Picture Unrelated
    The benefits of clipless pedals are always grossly overstated. At best, they are a slight improvement in efficiency due to the stiff soles but for the vast majority of riders it's a wash. I would say that unless you are very comfortable with the trails you typically ride, keep the platform pedals.

Now if you're riding the pedals that come stock with your bike then get rid of them and buy some decent pinned platforms. Pair them with a flat soled shoe or a cycling specific platform shoe and there is nothing you can't do on platforms that you can do on clipless.

Clipless make a lot of people happy, but they aren't for beginners. Until you have very solid intermediate or advanced skills, stick with flats.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Im sort of new to mtn biking or biking in general. My wife and I both started (about 5 weeks ago) with a duel pedal one side you can clip into the other was flat. They sucked, and after watching how others were riding on the single track it looked to me that the people ride with platform pedals were having more fun. I kind of get the feeling that a lot of the equipment is throw back from road bikers, the pedals, spandex.... Anyway we went with Wellgo MG-1 Mag Pedal Reviews and love them so does my wife.

mtbr member
    It really depends on the types of trails/terrain you are going to ride and your comfort level.

However, I have encouraged 2 of my buddies who just got into mtn biking this year to switch to SPD clipless and they love it(so does their shins).

I highly doubt platforms make people have more fun.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    It do.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

lol, if you don't they spank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Stubby pin platforms and regular trailrunners and baggies. We're having fun
    Clips, cycling shoes and spandex that can be enjoyable for a certain personality type.
    There's plenty of room on the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Its personal preference if you want to ride more efficiently or ride with a bit more comfort knowing you can put your foot down at a moments notice.

Clipless pedals are going to be a larger investment because you need to buy clipless shoes to go with.

Upgrading platform pedals will likely do wonders over your stock pedals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    BTW I really have know idea what Im talking about I also just started.