1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Religion = Non-thinking

upgrading from P.1AM Disc to Cannondale CO2 F5

i currently have a 2009 Specialized P.1 AM Disc + RS Recon SL fork. i'm looking to upgrade to the latest (2009 or 2010?) Cannondale CO2 F4 and install my Recon SL on it.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? i find that my P.1 AM is too heavy and i have fallen in love with the way C-Dale bikes look. i know i can change out parts to Carbon Fiber/Ti with the money spent, but the A1 frame is what's killing me.

Any opinions on the F5?

Current Specialized P.1 AM Disc (shown is 2010 model, but mine is 2009; minor changes)

New Cannondale CO2 F5
    RH SL Pro

AKA Dr.Nob
    There's one important question you need need to answer.

What kind of riding do you want to do?

From what I've read of your posts most of the riding you do is on MUTs and similar easy flat trails (feel free to correct me if I a wrong). If this is the case the P1 AM is nowhere near the best bike for those trails but neither is the Cannondale.

My advice is to skip that Cannondale and keep saving your money. That Cannondale isn't much more than a step sideways.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ^ What gumbymark said. I don't see that you gain that much for the $$ you'll be losing.

Religion = Non-thinking
    i do a lot of paved riding and intermediate trails. the P.1's frame is heavy and i'd like to upgrade stuff on the bike but the weight is hold me back. and the cdale just looks amazing.

i also want to be able to learn the techniques such as track stance and bunny hopping
    RH SL Pro