1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Upgrading my tires for more grip and durability

Hey everybody, I'm 5'10" about 160 lbs. I've been riding a lot of singletrack and some all mountain terrain here in central Texas for around 4 months now. Trek 3900 alpha hardtail 26" tires bought it used.

The stock tires are worn and have me sliding out front and back all the time due to loose dirt on top of hardpack. Primarily looking for tires that have great GRIP and DURABILITY. Roots and rock gardens are abundant and thrash my tires. Don't care about speed. I get all the speed I want already bombing some of these trails when they are hot and dry.

I've heard good things about Hans Dampf as a front tire. Looking to replace both tires. Tell me any suggestions thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Soft compound tires have best grip. Surely they are not durable.

My little friends
    What tire pressure are you running? Lower pressure greatly increases traction.

mtbr member

I have been running in between 20 and 30 psi for my rides. I agree it greatly increases traction and I am more confident with lower tire pressure. But it's time to replace my tires and I'm looking to upgrade since I've been running the tires that came with the bike.
    Ride it into the ground.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

On-One Smorgasbord 2.25 and/or Chunky Monkey 2.40.
    http://shop.titusti.com/category-s/1852.htm
    $30 each, shipped, with a choice of dual compound (more cornering grip) or single compound (a bit longer wearing).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    On-One Smorgasbord 2.25 and/or Chunky Monkey 2.40.
    Tires
    $30 each, shipped, with a choice of dual compound (more cornering grip) or single compound (a bit longer wearing).

Interesting tires those are Shiggy - great price point as well.

One thing I dont get though is in their description they state:

"For those 'tweeners, living in places with wet and dry trails abound, you might consider mixing and matching. Use the Trail Extreme version in the back and couple it with an Enduro in the front. The best of both worlds!"

My confusion is the "trail extreme" seems to be the softer compound tire, and the "enduro" is the harder compound - I live in a place with wet roots and dry in betweens, and I would NEVER run a harder compound up front - I look for the softest I can find for the front so I dont lose the front...... am I missing something here?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Interesting tires those are Shiggy - great price point as well.

One thing I dont get though is in their description they state:

"For those 'tweeners, living in places with wet and dry trails abound, you might consider mixing and matching. Use the Trail Extreme version in the back and couple it with an Enduro in the front. The best of both worlds!"

My confusion is the "trail extreme" seems to be the softer compound tire, and the "enduro" is the harder compound - I live in a place with wet roots and dry in betweens, and I would NEVER run a harder compound up front - I look for the softest I can find for the front so I dont lose the front...... am I missing something here?
    O-O UK has some strange ideas about how the tires should be used.
    The ChMonk is NOT designed as primarily as a front tire. Works well f&r. Good on loose over hardpack as well as soft and chunky.
    I do not care for the SGB on the rear for hardpack. It can get a bit squirmy, though not too bad.

I am using the dual compound f&r. Wear and rolling resistance difference is not a big deal because the center compound is the same on both. The softer edges help almost everywhere.
    The ChMonk uses overall softer rubber than the SGB.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the suggestion, great price also. May check out the Chunky Monkey for both rear and front and run slightly lower pressure in the front.