1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Upgrading my grips

I have an '08 Giant Rincon and I wanted to do some minor upgrades as I plan to hold on to this bike for a year or so before purchasing a better equipped F/S bike. I have decided on upgrading tires and grips. I am going with 2.1 Kenda Evengal's for my tires but I have not seen too many grips. The grips that come stock are actually okay but my hands tend to get tired after about an hour and one is actually ripping on the end.

Let me know of any grip recommendations and post pics if you can.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm a big fan of Oury grips for their squishy silicone-like texture, and they are available in many colors. Cheap too! Perfect if you don't plan on wearing gloves all the time.

I recently switched to Ergon GP1s and I'm pretty happy with them. Not as squishy, but I wear padded gloves always anyway, so they are fairly comfy. These greatly reduced the wrist pain I was having occasionally.

mtbr member
    Go for lock-on grips. Brand is not that important. I've used several brands. They all work. Important is if they fit. If you like the diameter of your current grips... measure and hit the next LBS. See if they got something in the same size.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

I AM I AM
    Yeah I like Oury grips. If you do go for lock on types then make sure you don't over tighten and strip the thread - you won't be able to get them off without drilling! One reason I prefer not to have lock ons.
    Oury's (non lock on) may not be for you if you're ripping the ends though - they are all one piece and the ends are rubber just like the grip which can get ripped pretty quick. I've found some wine corks in the ends of the bar do the trick though
    If your hands are getting tired you could try cushier ones (oury's are probably the cushiest) otherwise just check out the mainstream lock on brands - Odi is pretty much the main one there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBKR-328
    I have an '08 Giant Rincon and I wanted to do some minor upgrades as I plan to hold on to this bike for a year or so before purchasing a better equipped F/S bike. I have decided on upgrading tires and grips. I am going with 2.1 Kenda Evengal's for my tires but I have not seen too many grips. The grips that come stock are actually okay but my hands tend to get tired after about an hour and one is actually ripping on the end.

Let me know of any grip recommendations and post pics if you can.

Thanks!
    Were I you I would go with Ergons...they provide a little shelf that takes the stress off of your hands and provides support for your palms. Great upgrade. I got the GP1 and absolutely love it

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/i...3ircvi63pfoib4

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I recently put some Ourys on my bike. They are great: fat, cushy and sticky, but the stickiness is not for everyone.

I have not tried them, but ODI Rogues (lock-on) have quite a following. Ergons are nice too.

Riding or Fishing
    I love my Ergon GX-1's. Before I got them, I had a lot of pain in both my wrists after a relatively short period of time. Now I can ride all day with no pain or numbness. Not exactly cheap, but totally worth it.
    And their customer service is top notch!

spec4life???..smh...
    Just put a set of Ourys on my bike and they are nice and cushy. Great grips for the price.