1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013

Upgrading Marlin wheelset

Bent the front rim today in a wreck.Lbs mechanic seems to think he could straighten it back.It was bent 3/4 of a inch spread out through 4 spokes.I think I may go ahead and upgrade my wheel set.Was planning on doing it later but I may just go ahead and do it now.Depending on if I want the wheel set or fork more and if he can straighten it back out. Im wanting to find a good cost effective wheel set. Going to be doing some XC races and alot of recreational riding.Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't know of your budget but I am on Bontrager RXL's and couldn't be happier. They replaced a set of Bontrager Mustangs.

Also, the Stan's Arches, Crest's etc are highly regarded and light as well.

mtbr member

Re: Upgrading Marlin wheelset

Listed a bunch of great wheels. If your on a tight budget (as I am with baby on the way) I bought Alex dp20s with slx hubs. Handspun is the company cost me like 235 total for the pair. Hand built wheels, come perfectly true and properly built. I'm a clyde and ride hard, and couldn't be happier with the wheels. They aren't stans wheels, but their great for the price especially over the stock marlin wheels (i ride a '12 marlin at 270lbs)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Stans Arch EX. worth every penny.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Well I got the rim bent back and it was fine.But today while washing it off I noticed I had a crack form across the rim.Was not close to where the bend is so im not sure if it was stress related or not.This made me decide to put a new wheelset at the top of my list along with a fork.I found this wheelset but I have no idea what to really look for and what is a decent weight.AEROMAX RACE MTB Wheelset Bike 29er Aero Mountain Clincher Alloy Disc NEW: 349132 Random Bike Parts Planning on doing a good bit of amateur XC racing and alot of recreational riding.I am rougher with stuff then I should be so dependability is a must but with that said im putting the Marlin on a diet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check with your shop ,they can get just about whatever you need. There are different axle sizes to be aware of.When you up grade the fork ,you need to make sure that the wheel will work with it.