1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Upgrading to full suspension-question

I still consider myself a beginner mountain biker, only been riding for about 3 months. I am using a Trek 6000 hardtail as of now, but the bike is not mine. I am looking to upgrade to a full suspension because I would like to begin to do more drops, jumps, intense riding, etc. I am fully aware that full suspensions are way more expensive than hard tails for the most part, but like most people I am on a budget of about $1200. Can anyone let me know if there is anything decent that I can get for around that price? Or should I look around for used full suspensions? I have found a 2012 Kona Takuni for $750 and a 2013 cannondale RZ one twenty 1 for $1000. Like I said, I am a beginner and any help on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    1200$ could get you something FS used ,you need to know what to look at when looking at used bikes. You can do all of the kinds of riding that you want to do on a hardtail. Look for a all mountain hardtail .

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Can you recommend any All Mountain hardtails?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to the all mountain forum and post there ,I'm sure you'll get a ton of reponses.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I would go used and like others this is better answered in the all mountain. I know of someone who has gotten a used Giant Trance within that budget though.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Go for used.

You don't need FS to charge. Sack up and start hitting that stuff now. FS just raises the speed limit.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx