Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrading front fork/suspension - need help

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  hadeone 
#1 ·
I bought a 1995 Kona explosif (pic attached) this summer and i want to upgrade the front fork/suspension. In my local classified, I saw an ad for a Never used/never installed Rock Shox (pic attached). My question is, will this fork fit my bike? and is $100 a fair price?

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It will fit, but don't bother. It's the very bottom of the RS line, and IMO if you're going to go to some trouble and expense, it makes more sense to move up the line a bit first. Sometimes EBay can come up with some pretty good stuff for your figure, although you probably need to take a bit more of a risk, and do used.

What do you have now? I can see that it's orange...

#3 ·
Yep, that was the shock provided with many entry level bikes. You can get a brand new TK for not much more. Actually, a 28 TK on blueskycycling is only $80 that works if you are not heavy. I went a little above that and got a Marzocchi Marathon.

#4 ·
check pinkbike.com's buysell (or bik up a mountain bike magazine and hunt through all the websites), or ask around and see if there is as bike swap event near you (bike parts swap meet type idea).

$100 for a darts is not a great price, and as Andrew said they are the very bottom end of rockshox line.

#5 ·
That's a little high for an entry-level shock.

Try looking for an air-assisted coil shock or even better, a full air-sprung shock.....then again you're limited by your budget I suppose.

If you can spend an extra $100-$150 you should be able to get a used Fox Float, Fox Talas (if you're really lucky) or a Rock Shox Recon Silver with Solo Air if you look hard enough and have some patience. You'll need one that has v-brake bosses to mount the brakes or you'll be stuck with converting the front to disc. Your best bet is really used.

...but wait, there's more... Thanksgiving is just around the corner - you can probably get great deals on Black Friday :) :) :)

Things to look out for is the steerer size (standard is 1-1/8") and the length. Longer is usually better since it's easier to cut and shorten it than extending it.

-S

#7 ·
Yeah, I got a lightly used Manitou SX-E for the same price. LOL

I think that the only problem the OP will run into is finding a new fork that has post mounts for his brakes. I don't think they are that common any more on slightly more performance oriented forks.... then again I may be completely wrong on this. LOL

-S

#12 ·
Like all the others already said a Dart 1/2 isn't really worth $100. If you want to go new and stay within the budget of $100 +/- $20 I can only point you in a direction of RS XC 30 TK. Make sure you look for the one with aluminum steerer as it is a lot lighter than the model with steel steerer. This is the safest option because you know the fork is in perfect condition. On the other hand you can look for second hand deals and get something air sprung but be careful because that Fox F100 might not be worth the asking $40.

#14 ·
As a note, I would say that you need to be shopping for an 80mm fork at max for that frame. When that frame was new available suspension forks were 65mm; exceeding that by too much puts your frame in danger of failing and could ruin the handling.

#21 ·
Read your warranty terms - only way to know for sure. But in general, as long as it's done by a "qualified person," you should be fine.

EDIT: Oops, also, usually there are restrictions on travel. Like you can go up 10% and stay within warranty, for example.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.