1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Upgrading front fork/suspension - need help

I bought a 1995 Kona explosif (pic attached) this summer and i want to upgrade the front fork/suspension. In my local classified, I saw an ad for a Never used/never installed Rock Shox (pic attached). My question is, will this fork fit my bike? and is $100 a fair price?

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Upgrading front fork/suspension - need help-img_1811.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      

Fat-tired Roadie
    It will fit, but don't bother. It's the very bottom of the RS line, and IMO if you're going to go to some trouble and expense, it makes more sense to move up the line a bit first. Sometimes EBay can come up with some pretty good stuff for your figure, although you probably need to take a bit more of a risk, and do used.

What do you have now? I can see that it's orange...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep, that was the shock provided with many entry level bikes. You can get a brand new TK for not much more. Actually, a 28 TK on blueskycycling is only $80 that works if you are not heavy. I went a little above that and got a Marzocchi Marathon.
    They call me non-sequitur

mtbr member
    check pinkbike.com's buysell (or bik up a mountain bike magazine and hunt through all the websites), or ask around and see if there is as bike swap event near you (bike parts swap meet type idea).

$100 for a darts is not a great price, and as Andrew said they are the very bottom end of rockshox line.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

banned
    Sep 2012
    That's a little high for an entry-level shock.

Try looking for an air-assisted coil shock or even better, a full air-sprung shock.....then again you're limited by your budget I suppose.

If you can spend an extra $100-$150 you should be able to get a used Fox Float, Fox Talas (if you're really lucky) or a Rock Shox Recon Silver with Solo Air if you look hard enough and have some patience. You'll need one that has v-brake bosses to mount the brakes or you'll be stuck with converting the front to disc. Your best bet is really used.

...but wait, there's more... Thanksgiving is just around the corner - you can probably get great deals on Black Friday

Things to look out for is the steerer size (standard is 1-1/8") and the length. Longer is usually better since it's easier to cut and shorten it than extending it.

-S

mtbr member
    Yeah, too high. I sold a Judy C for $20.

I got a RS Recon SIlver TK solo air for my hard tail. MUCH better performance and more travel. Paid $209 new from Performance Bike. Wait for a good sale.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post

I got a RS Recon SIlver TK solo air for my hard tail. MUCH better performance and more travel. Paid $209 new from Performance Bike. Wait for a good sale.
    Yeah, I got a lightly used Manitou SX-E for the same price. LOL

I think that the only problem the OP will run into is finding a new fork that has post mounts for his brakes. I don't think they are that common any more on slightly more performance oriented forks.... then again I may be completely wrong on this. LOL

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    In my opinion, Air forks are the only way to go.

mtbr member
    OP, that looks like a Rock SHox Dart, a coil spring with external rebound and should have a lockout. I woouldn;t pay $100 for it, but probably $75 or so. If you are looking for more aggressive riding an air shock will suit you better I think though.

Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Yeah, I got a lightly used Manitou SX-E for the same price. LOL

I think that the only problem the OP will run into is finding a new fork that has post mounts for his brakes. I don't think they are that common any more on slightly more performance oriented forks.... then again I may be completely wrong on this. LOL

-S
    I was surprised to see the new Recon air fork had posts for v-brakes. And it seems to be a very good fork for the price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wouldn't buy it. I have found awesome used parts on eBay. You just have to make sure the seller isn't a hoax. Tons of deals for entry level parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post

That fork is $204 shipped on Amazon right now. Can't post a link yet but it's listed as
    "RockShox Recon Silver TK - SoloAir 100mm 26" 9mm QR TurnKey PopLock Remote Right Aluminum Steerer 1-1/8" Rim/Disc - Black"

Is this as good as it can get for a new fork or should I wait for Black Friday or later into winter?

I am riding a 2007 Kona Caldera that came with a coil Marzocchi MZ race (which apparently is made by Suntour). It's too soft and bottoms out when I hit the brakes on flat terrain so I'd like to upgrade. I do XC riding, nothing too extreme. I'm guessing the Recon Silver would be a good upgrade or is there a better "bang for your buck" fork out there?

Thanks
    Last edited by hadeone; 11-07-2012 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Like all the others already said a Dart 1/2 isn't really worth $100. If you want to go new and stay within the budget of $100 +/- $20 I can only point you in a direction of RS XC 30 TK. Make sure you look for the one with aluminum steerer as it is a lot lighter than the model with steel steerer. This is the safest option because you know the fork is in perfect condition. On the other hand you can look for second hand deals and get something air sprung but be careful because that Fox F100 might not be worth the asking $40.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Make sure you measure the post, your's looks like a 1" diameter to me, while most nowadays are 1 1/8" steerer's.

Picture Unrelated
    As a note, I would say that you need to be shopping for an 80mm fork at max for that frame. When that frame was new available suspension forks were 65mm; exceeding that by too much puts your frame in danger of failing and could ruin the handling.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    As a note, I would say that you need to be shopping for an 80mm fork at max for that frame. When that frame was new available suspension forks were 65mm; exceeding that by too much puts your frame in danger of failing and could ruin the handling.
    Hehe.. I got one Manitou SX-e with 80mm travel available - it's in great working condition. $20 + shipping?

[edit] yes it has V-brake post mounts, aluminum steerer; 7-1/8" long.

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 11-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Hehe.. I got one Manitou SX-e with 80mm travel available - it's in great working condition. $20 + shipping?

-S
    When you choose anything you need to keep in mind how long the steerer tube is on a used fork and how long a steerer tube you need to fit your bike. Also remember that you need to be able to attach your brakes to the thing.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Yea, the steerer looks like 10" +/- and 1" diameter steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    small question : I don't want to sound like I am hijacking the thread. Does upgrading the fork void the warranty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hows pricepoint website ? I saw some nice forks there and price seemed ok. I compared with amazon, as I am not sure which other sites have good deals and are reputable at the same time.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Read your warranty terms - only way to know for sure. But in general, as long as it's done by a "qualified person," you should be fine.

EDIT: Oops, also, usually there are restrictions on travel. Like you can go up 10% and stay within warranty, for example.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi, saw a deal on RS Recon SIlver TK solo air at amazon.com for 196 USD. shipping only within US. not sure if I am allowed to post link in here. 8 pcs left. unsure about dealer. thought would post it here in case people might find it useful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
    Hi, saw a deal on RS Recon SIlver TK solo air at amazon.com for 196 USD. shipping only within US. not sure if I am allowed to post link in here. 8 pcs left. unsure about dealer. thought would post it here in case people might find it useful.
    I bought that fork. Waiting for it to come in. It's sold by Amazon so no problem there.

Also worth mentioning that it's the SoloAir fork with PopLock remote.