1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Upgrading forks on Norco Manik, Help please

Hello all, new here

My current 2005 Drop Off forks have had their time, they've been abused and fixed many times. So I finally think it's time I upgraded them and put the old stock Drop Off's to rest.

I have been looking at 'Rock Shox Domain 302 1.5" Forks - U-Turn 2009 Post Mount' would you think this is a good upgrade? will they fit? I've never replaced the forks before, only cleaned so I'm a little unsure on what or if there is any fitting requirements?

The bike is a 2005 Norco Manik

Thanks
    Jake

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    do u have a price limit? what kind of riding do you do? some one correct me if im wrong but depending on your bikes year it may not accept 1.5 inch steer tube.

mtbr member
    Googled the 2005 Manik. From the pictures at bikepedia I'd assume the 1.5 inch won't fit. You need a standard steerer 1 1/8 inch fork with 150mm to 160mm travel. RS Domain would work, as would a Marzocchi 55 or a Fox Float or Talas.

You may also need to change your front wheel/hub. Most current +150mm forks come with a 20mm through axle.

As mfrench2013 eludes to... more pondering required.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thank you both for your replies

I freeride mostly, and a little xc.

Price is 150 ($220) quite a few online retailers have 70-80% off 2010 forks, so thought it would be a good time to upgrade.

I was thinking about the 55 RV but 250 is a little out of my price range.

mtbr member
    You are welcome. I believe you have the timing right. Late fall and winter is shopping time. Hope you'll find a suitable fork.

BTW, I own a Domain and I am not that impressed. Unless your Drop Of is broken I would save the money.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Domains won't fit though?

My drop offs are completely dead, so a cheap quick set of 160mm travel forks is what I'm after.

I wanna catch some nice spring rides too, my personal favourite.

Would some Suntour Duro FR20 150mm Forks do? or are they tat?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Fork, no "s". You eat dinner with a fork, you tune a piano with a tuning fork, you have a fork on the front of your bike. If you have more than one on there, you are doing it wrong.

Sorry, pet peeve.