1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Upgrading 2007 specialized enduro

I want to change out my triple clamp forks for regular ones, whatever you call that. What type of fork will fit on there... How do I do it?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Looking at the bikepedia.com entry, you have a 1-1/8" headset. I bet someone on the Specialized owner's forum (or another reader on this one) can confirm.

That restricts you to forks with a straight 1-1/8" steerer.

There are a couple of Fox 32s and 36s that will fit. The Float and the TALAS. And there are some RockShox Lyriks and maybe Revelations that will fit.

Along with keeping the same size steerer, you need to stick with a similar amount of travel. Since your bike shipped with 150, that means getting another 150 mm fork. You could go to a 160 if you wanted to and it would most likely be fine. That's a somewhat more common size. You could also go to a 140, but why get an Enduro if you're then going to shorten the travel?

If your current fork is still functional, give some thought to what you'd like to improve upon. If your current fork's not still functional, that's still worth thinking about. Try to be realistic, given the bike you're starting with.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My goal was to lighten the front end a little. Mine does still work so don't really have to do it, just thought it might be fun. Thanks for the info that does help me get started.

I'd like to find a fork that is as adjustable as the one I have... Ride height and all.

I'll have to look around.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You didn't ask but my advice would be to take everything off the front end of your bike and weigh it so you know what changes you're really looking at. Changing fork design is likely to drop you some weight, but there can be big changes to make in the other components up there too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I really just like thinking about new stuff... Reality is that it's too expensive. After buying new forks, wheels, headset, and stem, I should have just bought a new bike.

Thanks for the input.